Wednesday, January 2, 2013

No, I'm Not a Reviewer or Music Critic

This blog is not about providing a column for musical critique but rather I share the things I see.  This is why will you see a 'review' of the same people multiple times as of course I'll go back to something I like.  That would get tedious over a long period of time no matter how much enthusiasm I bring to it but likely that won't even be possible as fairly soon I should be back playing again.  I asked Harry last night to go forward with getting the phone line installed as the experiment to try an alternative solution did not work (i.e. his router is WiFi only so I can't hard-wire into it).

Last night I also uploaded "Send Me an Angel" to the podcast and this is part of going live as I need to be clear on what material I will bring to a live performance.  Likely sometime today I will record "I Love Rats" as that's almost the musical opposite of "Send Me an Angel" but it's something I love to do.  It's original, it's insane, and it's crazy fun to do.  I talked with Cat about this and her thinking is to mix up some covers with originals and I'm sure she's right but it will be an interesting balance to strike.  You can make up your own mind when I do the upload later on today.

So, my intention is not to be a reviewer or a critic but rather I do these things as I go along just as I bring you pictures of Katakolo because I want to share as much as I can of the impressions I have of what I encounter.  One thing that strikes me particularly that has nothing at all to do with music is that the reaction in America when someone speaks Spanish can frequently be one of, mofo, speak English or I'll kick your wetback monkey ass back across the border.  Despite the pretensions of a melting pot, it's actually quite xenophobic.  However, here in Greece, people are charmed to hear one trying to learn the language and they will help.  Most are not conversant in English but they know enough of it to help you along and it's not to boost tourism as Pyrgos is not a tourist town; they don't sell t-shirts, baseball hats, or magnets for your refrigerator.  This kind of attitude is not something that would do America any harm at all!  There's plenty of room for everyone.  Happy New Ears!

No comments: