Friday, March 18, 2016

The Sad Dilemma of the Spotted Skunk

There's no dilemma for spotted skunks when they are out doing whatever spotted skunks do.  The dilemma comes when you try to bring one into Texas.

But there are reasons.  How many words do you have for adorable?




(Ed:  it's just a glorified rat!)

Heresy!  Even rats will run when a skunk is about.


From what I have read, the spotted skunk is a smaller species and will get at most about fifteen inches / thirty-five centimeters.  Plus they only weigh about 1.1 pounds.  I've also read they love to play with you and sure that could get tedious but it also has big potential for charming.


The thing taking this down like a ship's anchor for a rowboat is descenting the animal.  That surgery is for my satisfaction and benefits the animal in no way except it can now live around me.  That actually is beneficial for its lifespan but that's not really coming to sufficient justification for me.

There's no problem rationalizing neutering pets because it really is for the health of the species.  There are too many cats and dogs already so it's not helpful for them to increase an oversupply.

That rationalization slowly falls apart for descenting the animal.  It's not an immediate rejection is with declawing a cat which I regard as exceptionally inhumane (i.e. that cat is dead meat if it ever gets outside).


Likely that's it for the Buy Silas a Skunk GoFundMe Campaign (sob).

In case there was any doubt, the Campaign is a hoax.  The link in the pitch for GoFundMe instead goes to show you a clip from a Marx Brothers movie.

I figured it had about a 20% chance of flushing out a response of 'you pinko liberals expect everything handed to you' and 20% is worth the exercise because, wtf, it ain't blackjack.  I learned quite a bit about skunks and that was interesting to me but the thing I learn most is taking one home is probably not a good idea.

I know the surgery would not significantly hurt the animal and the problem is specifically the change is for my benefit and does nothing for the animal.  It's also arguably the same as declawing a cat because that skunk is screwed if it ever gets outside because it has zero defense after its colors.  Dogs don't often take that warning so that skunk will be severely screwed (i.e. it will quickly become an ex-skunk).

No comments: