Wednesday, March 30, 2016

If Donna Woods Lives Here, Please Press "1"

No-one here ever heard of Donna Woods but I press "1" and you know why, don't you.

All together now ...

PAYBACK!


After the telephone robot wastes my time answering a phone call which might have been the Mystery Lady, this telephone answerer feels something is due.

PAYBACK!


Silas:  yes, Donna Woods lives here.

(Long silence which tells us she is afraid to go off her script)

Silas:  she is sleeping just now.

Soon-to-be hooker:  (unintelligible)

Silas:  may I take a message for her?

Soon-to-be hooker: (unintelligble) two numbers

Silas:  I hear two numbers but what are they?  Why would she call them?

Soon-to-be hooker:  One is a reference number and the second is a contact number.

Silas:  thank you but that does not tell me why she should call someone about her reference and contact numbers.  What is this number?

Soon-to-be hooker:  it is for the ERC company.

Silas:  please work with me, if you could.  What does ERC do?

Soon-to-be hooker:  it is the Energy Resources Company.

Silas:  I hear those words but they don't tell me anything about its purpose.    Does it have, say, an actual function?

Soon-to-be hooker:  it is an accounts receivable division of ...

Silas:  thanks for helping me waste as much of your time as possible.  Have a peach of a day.  Kisses.

(click)


(Ed:  that's not much of a punchline!)

Carry it through, Elmer Fudd.  She's pissed because she's getting paid by the percentage and she knows or should know it would have been better if she recognized the situation and bailed out long before the end of it.

A robot has no right in any possible Universe of interrupting a human unless it serves the Three Laws of Robotics and asshole bill collector robots don't make the cut, particularly when no-one here even knows the person or has ever had any engagement with the person.  It's not just a robot but an egregiously-incompetent robot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You quit too soon. I walk around on speaker trying to get a new time record.
Even more so with the overseas IT calls wanting to fix my computer

Unknown said...

In part there's the fear they can still pull off the blitz like the one at Hosea when the phone never stopped ringing, right 'round the clock. I'm not sure what started the war but, dayum, they were really pissed! The only answer was to leave the phone off the hook but, as soon as you put it back on the cradle, it would ring again.

Anonymous said...

Call forward back to them
It is a gas
I pretend that I am too stupid to understand they want me to do