Tuesday, March 22, 2016

When a Good Deed Goes Bad

Relax, the only way a good deed goes bad is to talk about it ... which is exactly what I will do because it was just a sweet one and wasn't exactly X-Men Save the Universe.

I was wandering out of Walmart with a jug of milk and was running low on ergs after two previous stops.

As I got to the car, I saw a little old lady was loading up her truck and I wouldn't be able to get into the car.  I held back waiting but she saw me and wanted to get out of the way.

I said, no, no, no.  I'm too old to be in a hurry.  I use that one all the time because it almost always gets a smile and, sure enough, it did.

She moved her cart to the back of her truck and loaded up a case of water bottles.  At first I asked if she needed help but she waved me off.

Then I just said of course you need some help as she had cases of soda.  I don't even want to ask what a little old lady does with so much soda pop but it would have been pain to watch her load that stuff by herself!  She had big ol' 24-packs of soda pop, at least half a dozen of them!

I told her I would put the cart away but I came back and she was all bubbly.  I guess people don't help her too much.  There isn't much more to say so you take care, ma'am, and I drove off smiling.

This isn't an X-Men story so I don't have to keep it quiet so it keeps its magic.  It's an easy smile and now maybe you get one too.


There was another one which struck me as I had been to the Post Office before that because I have been upending things trying to find my treasure trove of Jimi Hendrix stamps but they're nowhere to be found and they're really cool stamps.

So I went to get some more and on the way out an older woman held the door open for me to exit.  I held back because, of course, ladies first.  She gives an immediate don't be silly look and I went on through.  When I said thank you, her face just lit up.

Such a simple thing.  It's always been my habit to do that and from the reaction I get I don't think people do it very much.


In fact, it happened another time as I was leaving yet a different place as a young man held the door as some will down here in Texas because the homegrown ones often have exceptional manners.  So he held the door and I thanked him as well.  Exactly the same thing happened as he beamed with a huge smile.

Yah, I know this sounds like Aunt Heloise but I like it nevertheless.

No comments: