Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Silas Trips and Fantastic Lights at Cat's Art MusikCircus

When there's a problem with a show, I'm tempted to tell Cat that I can substitute but then I think, hmm, I don't want her to feel obligated ... but that didn't happen tonight as it looked like she only needed about thirty minutes so I asked her if she would like some music.  Yes she would and on with the show.

Playing at Cat's Art MusikCircus is very relaxed as I know already Cat likes it so I don't have to convince anyone of anything, I only have to play something that doesn't suck.  I don't have to play like someone just tazed me bum and no-one wants to hear Pink Floyd covers.  I haven't listened to the playback and I don't know if I will as that gets into a packet of existential drivel that would be boring just now.

Sidenote on uploading tracks to Soundcloud:  tracking cookies, etc are disabled in my browser and I discovered this means Soundcloud won't work.  It will permit me to upload things but it won't let me see the list nor will it let me play anything back, mine or anyone else's.  What that means the other way around is that the podcast is the only place I can put anything that won't load you with tracking cookies for listening to it.

It started with "Death March Digression" as I like the chords.  The sentiment is important to me as I do see two hundred million guns marching blindly to shoot each other ... but ... that is a total destroyer for a tune.  Hey, kids, here's a song ... everyone dies.  Are you ready?  If it were an opera or some such then it could be tolerable but a reading of a poem is a destroyer.  Nevertheless I like the chords.

Going into it I was thinking it might be cool to bump it up from 80 bpm to maybe 120 bpm.  That runs the risk of it becoming a boogie woogie Death March but so it goes.  It would be difficult for the marchers as they're all marching backwards but they didn't have to march.  I didn't play it that way in the set as it was more about stretching it out and pushing it to see what it might do.  I was fairly pleased with how it went and, this is the existential part, maybe it's best to leave it at that.


As to the Fantastic Lights, I saw a laser display and knew this just has to be in the Circus.  I did a lousy job of keeping a secret so, when Cat saw the lasers, there was only one thing to do:  get more stuff.  Now she can even make Jupiter and its moons float around the dance floor.  But the pictures are not in this report.  This one is only to inform you they exist.

No comments: