Friday, June 27, 2014

Phoenix J Flies at Cat's Art MusikCircus

There are very, very few times when neither Cat nor I can be there to start up a show but things went quite wrongly running up to the show.  I was late by an hour and that just doesn't happen.  Cat's Internet was up and down and was torturing her.  Fortunately I got there before everyone left and could get the show started.



Phoenix J does lovely work and it's from a long list of songs that includes covers and her originals.  My preference is always for originals and the ones Phoenix has written are very special ... but ... my tardiness meant people at the MusikCircus already had plenty of time for requests and tonight they wanted to hear cover songs.  That's fine as Phoenix is a professional and she has built up her repertoire over years so she can bring people what they like.  (It's not for me to make requests as those should come from guests.)

The closer is when I got my wish and I do prefer her originals because there is a lilt in her voice in the melody line that adds a touch that may not work in a cover song.  In an original, she can sing it however she likes and the result is very beautiful.

Phoenix plays piano and guitar and she does both beautifully.  The tone from both is crisp, clean and clear.  I'm not sure what kind of piano as there are so many types now.  Some of the better electric pianos have multiple voices but some of those are only within the range of piano-type sounds as opposed to angel voices, flutes, or saxophones.  Phoenix may not like synthesized sound so I must ask her to give you a little more background.  What she does now is beautiful already and this makes me curious if there is more Phoenix we have not heard yet.


I apologize again for problems getting the show started as nothing was forgotten but our plans sure didn't work out so well.  Cat crashed several more times before the evening was over.  It was not such a good evening for Internet in Bavaria.  We hope your holidays are wonderful and will look forward to seeing you perform here again.

No comments: