Saturday, June 14, 2014

Voodoo and FunkyFreddy Enthrall Cat's Art MusikCircus

Voodoo Shilton's guitar skill is something I have admired multiple times but he has more than solo skill and frequently performs with other musicians, typically through some electronic trickery that permits playing from different locations (i.e. dual streaming).  What he did last night went beyond that is he was with FunkyFreddy Republic in his barn somewhere in upstate New York.  To my own taste, a jam is only real when you can see each other and that's exactly what happened last night.



They were using every musical source they could possibly find and sometimes there was no way to tell.  Whoa, what did that.  The guitar sound ranged from beautifully-precise acoustic to electric that's sometimes twisted in all manner of bizarre ways.  They were rolling synth into it as they liked.  Plus they were using things that were tough to identify.  It's all to push things out as far as they can possibly go as there's no way you can really know if you don't try it.

The above may sound it makes for some riotous cacophony but what came was a set that went by ridiculously fast.  With a really good set, the first time you look at the clock will reveal the set is practically over and it will shock you.  No!  Not yet.  The music was continuously beautiful with an ongoing dialog between the two of them.  There was no me, me, me as it's all about the music and who did what doesn't matter.

There was an announcement of resounding coolness as Voodoo and FunkyFreddy will be playing somewhere in Montreal on Sunday.  I do not have the location but you can contact Voodoo Shilton or FunkyFreddy on Facebook to get more information.  I don't know if there will be a cover charge but if there is one then pay it, they are definitely worth it.



I have may been (i.e. was definitely) far overboard on the lights.  I talked to Cat about it later and she likes the lights too but she wasn't sure if it had been too much.  There were people saying how much they enjoyed it and the lights were part of that so I'm mixed.  I'll be interested to hear what Voodoo thinks later.




No comments: