Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ride While the Sun Still Shines

That's so obvious but lots of people don't do it ... and then they sit back on that porch as an old man and think, "You know.  I wish I had bought that Harley Davidson."

This isn't about buying a Harley or even having a bucket list as people don't do their buckets either.  Don't save something on a bucket list, do it now.


My ol' Dad took my ol' Mother over to Europe.  All the kids were grown and the house was largely a hippie crash pad by then what with some siblings, significant others, and who knows who else.  So they said we'll be back when they're ready to come back.

They roamed around all over the place.  I didn't even know my ol' Dad spoke French but apparently he does well enough with it that both of them ate very well there and I don't mean downtown but out where real people are.  They would have meals for two and three hours in which the hosts would not let them leave.

It was glorious and they went all over the place.  They didn't bother with postcards much, they just went out there and lived it.

They had not been back so long when my ol' Dad had a heart attack that was immediately followed by a significant stroke.  He was one of the most articulate, well-educated, intelligent people you would ever met and suddenly he couldn't even talk.  That's not just gush about my ol' Dad as ask anyone.  That's who he was.

So you can imagine the tragedy of the situation that followed.

But, that's not the point.


I breezed off to Greece and was having a fine old time eating olives and feta cheese and loving it.  You all met Charlie the Cat and then there was roaming about Europe on the scooter to wind up in Scotland.  People were calling it a vacation but for me it was a pilgrimage, to do the scariest, most absolutely insane thing ... and get away with it.  Seeing Europe is an incredible privilege as there were sometimes fields of sunflowers, thousands of them, and also I saw entire fields of lavender where it was being grown for perfume.  Most of all I saw the people and I very rarely saw angry ones.  The only ones I saw who were even tense were cops ... but that's usually my experience with cops.  And even that was cool.

When I got back here I got sicker pretty quickly and that was six months ago.  The stuff coming up is really going to suck and ...

That's not the point either.

I'm sure you already know the point but I'll say it anyway.  Don't fuck around as time will not wait for you.  Time does melt like an ice cream, the song is real.  It's a really good ice cream and letting it melt to drip into the sand is just wrong.


No comments: