Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sonya and Silas at Cat's Art MusikCircus

Sonya Jevette is a dear lady and she works so hard for her music.  She writes, she sings, she teaches and music really is her life.  Her songs come from her life and she tells that story with her own special poetic style which is much more interesting than a simple series of rhyming couplets.  Most of all, she sings with such extraordinary control.  When she reaches for a note, she hits it and holds it perfectly without ever seeming like she stretches.


Cat was the Raven woman and you can't see her feet in the pic but they have got huge Raven claws.  In "Big Girls," Sonya advises women to 'make sure you get treated right' because if you don't then 'she is going to mess you up at night.'  Cat's Raven claws won't just mess you up, they could carve you into thin-sliced turkey.

Giving a good report on Sonya's show is difficult as I listen to her set while I'm also setting up for my own.  Something Sonya doesn't know is that after tuning the guitar, I will play along for a time with whatever she has happening as I can hear her the whole time.  My guitar goes through the same speakers so, ok, let's jam!  It's cool as Sonya is singing concert loud through the P.A. speakers so it's big fun throwing a few guitar licks into it sometimes.

I know it was cool today that Uruguay won but you missed some wonderful singing tonight.  Sonya will be back in two weeks and you can learn a lot more about her in hearing her songs, seeing her videos, and all kinds of things on the Sonya Jevette Web site.


Silas Scarborough (i.e. me) was up next and there has been a rascal of a problem for quite some time, weeks or longer, in which there would be uncontrollable feedback if I tried to get any audio from the computer while the audio stream was live to the Internet.  I knew it was some ridiculous little switch in hardware or software but I could not find it despite frequent searches.  I was violating my own principle as always in programming I'd be saying if you look at something for more than fifteen minutes then you're looking in the wrong place.  It wasn't the software but a USB THRU switch on the mixer.  Who knows what pushed it as maybe even one of the cats did it.


Everything seemed like it was ready to go and I went on through the first song which was belting loud here ... but wasn't at all in the Circus.  The sound from the computer, even though it wasn't feeding back, still wasn't working right so that meant bagging the back tracks I had planned to use.

That's ok, recover and push on with it the show.  It took a bit of knob twisting but things got going fairly quickly and playing felt pretty good as you know when you're in-touch and when you're just reaching.  What was different was that this was being recorded on a video camera.  There is only one so I put it on a very long shot to try to catch Every Single Thing from the top of my head to foot moves on the different devices.  I have not yet reviewed the video and will see whether it's worth the time to mix it with the audio recorded on the stream.  It's a very time-consuming business screwing around with video, particularly on a small machine, so I'll need to verify it before getting on with it.

The video would be a whole lot cooler if Cat were in it.


No such luck as it's just me in the video.


There will be one more show on Saturday for RacerX Gullwing's Ten Year RezDay Party and this really is a high honor.  After that I don't plan on playing again until I know what happens after next Wednesday but it's possible next Tuesday so we'll see how that goes.

No comments: