Friday, June 13, 2014

Who Would I Invite to Sing - Updated

Someone asked what artist you would want to come to sing at your house.  Everyone else named singers but I want Vincent van Gogh.  I seriously would.  You've heard all the others so I'd play while Vincent sang and splashed paint.  I'd find Jeffrey Lipsky and make it a fookin' painter duet.  Maybe they work on the same piece, maybe different ones, who knows what they do but it would be loud and it would be colorful.  So, yah, sing Vincent.  Splash that stuff all over the place.  Screw the LEDs and the flash pots, let's see oil paint flying.

I forgot my niece, Valerie.  I want her in this too.  She has the passion for it and she does mad abstracts.  For all of them I want big canvases, really big ones.  Dali-size.  If they need helpers, find some.

See it!  If you can see it, you can do it.

Where's the Raven.  Get on up here, mate.  We need yer troupe with the fireballs out here.  There are stunts and then there are Fraser stunts.  You have it in your blood, young grasshopper.  Make it happen!  Maybe not with me but do it!

Don't think of it for a stadium with a hundred thousand people, that's only for the money.  Think of doing it for a hundred or so but really really cool people, they're probably artists too.  Now it's a happening.  Welcome to the sixties.  This is how you do it.


Cat didn't believe it at first but she knows it now that I really don't know going into a show what I will play.  The only practice is to play a little for the strings as air conditioning makes them crazy.  They get cold and go out of tune.  Tune them and play for a bit.  The strings and the guitar as a whole get warmer ... and go out of tune again.  Tune back up and all set ... unless she sits for too long until the set starts and then the strings will cool off and go out of tune again.  (With the locking keys on the Godin, it's harder to knock out of tune than any guitar I've ever owned.  I would never have a guitar without a lock on the keys or the nut, preferably the keys as a locking nut looks so cyborg.)

There's a great obsession just now with musical impressionism.  I can't throw away chord progressions in my head but it would be almost cool if I could.  I learned after forty years that I have learned nothing at all but that's how long it sometimes takes to discover.  If you think that's crap then you tell me you have not finished your study yet.  When you tell me you have finished, I will tell you that you have just begun because I love to screw with the minds young white guys ... they believe this crap.  Unfortunately or not, so do I.  Perhaps it's irresponsible to use my mind like a beach ball but no-one else will let me play with theirs.

I've listened to the "Death March Digression" from last night and that's the first time I've listened to the capture from a set for a while.  All I know going into it is that I'll play some piano stuff around the chords and maybe that will be it.  The other night that's all I did.  There's also a reserve of maybe go to guitar and also maybe get loud and distorted with it.  I need the Angel Voices for all the people who have been shot ... or not.  I didn't use them last time either.  Last night they showed up, tho.

The verdict after listening is that I have no idea.  It's almost cool but whether it will ever be cool enough to satisfy is questionable.  That's not a tragedy but an observation.

Voodoo was there and that can be either intimidating or exciting, maybe both.  It was good as he really is a good guy and in part I was thinking on a long sustained note that Voodoo may think I'm just playing it for the sound.  It may seem obvious that you play a note for the sound of it but the sustain, for me, is like chocolate and it's best to let it slowly melt, not all the time but it's good when you can.  The length of the sustain may depend on how many 'colors' come from it as feedback may dance around in it and you can draw that with the volume pedal.  In this regard it really is a matter of savoring the sound beyond the value of the note.  I don't feel criticized in this thinking as Voodoo didn't say it, I say this to myself and it's a question I want to ask.  I love the colors but I don't want to chuck the whole can on the canvas at the same time ... well, unless it seems cool at the time.


Cat and I talked about putting all kinds of speaker cabinets about to make it look all Rolling Stones but both of us thought that would suck.  It's virtual!  When you can have a stage that looks like a galaxy, why would you not!

No comments: