Friday, June 27, 2014

My Duck Soup - Total Data Loss

The hosting site was hacked by people with no intention other than damage.  There was not, apparently, an attempt to steal passwords or anything of that nature.  Instead, a low-level security exposure in some hardware was exploited to set disks to erase themselves and that destroyed a substantial part of the data center.  They are attempting to restore data but there is little hope of success.

HostingCheck has set up a new account and I can recover from what backups I have here.  I don't have the full site but I have more than they've got and can at least get it back online again.

And, yes, I did do it better in my own systems.  In fact, I did much better.  My friend, Ron, and I built systems so strong you could roll tanks against them and the systems would just laugh.  For backing up data, on the primary site the A disks are constantly being backed up to the B disks.  The B disks are then flowed over external channels to C disks at another site.  The C disks get copied to the D disks and those in turn get flowed over external channels the E disks on a third site.  To destroy data in that environment, you would have to blow three full-bore data centers out of the Universe.  Hackers are destructive but they're not even close to that powerful.

No comments: