Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Women Without Mikes Requires Beverly Sills

Here is Beverly Sills in her farewell performance after a tremendously successful career as America's foremost coloratura soprano.





I never had the privilege / courage to attend an opera and what a gaping hole that leaves in my musical consciousness.  I can't even know how big the hole since I don't know opera well enough but I know what happened with Broadway musicals after they opened all kinds of musical doors of perception.


Nostalgia is going to take some strange twists and turns, mates.

I remember Beverly Sills turning up on "The Tonight Show" when I was a kid.  She played brief sets which were kind of distant, particularly when her voice was coming through the crumby TV speakers of the time. Mostly I remember a bubbly personality as she didn't evince any of the expected stuffiness of one of America's supreme operatic talents.


We're in something of The Road not Taken part since Beverly Sills was an Important Clue coming from my ol' Dad and "The Tonight Show" as well, for that matter.  Yep, I blew that one.

I blew it as well with Laura Nyro but Cadillac Man didn't and he remarked earlier, "Laura Nyro is like the girlfriend you wished you had."

She died twenty years ago from cancer and I did not know that.  Cadillac Man didn't say it but losing her broke his heart.


The catching or missing of Important Clues is kind of a sub-theme of late also.  We do get some major ICs in life ... and we have no trouble sailing blithely right past them.  That's an odd phenomenon so it's a bit intriguing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite https://youtu.be/HSbUaM-Jt-I . Andy

Unknown said...

Oh yes. She's exquisite. Thank you and I'll post this one as well.