Friday, May 30, 2014

Voodoo has No Name at Cat's Art MusikCircus

Voodoo Shilton is a fantastic musician and I've written about him multiple times.  For me the most intriguing thing is whatever he has done most recently.  For his newest tonight, he said he didn't have a name for it but let's give it a go.  Before starting he mentioned briefly 'a battle in the morning' but he didn't elaborate.

Right away, the song gives a feeling of foreboding, something bad is going to happen.  He opens it on bass and the changes are deep dark.  He keeps this as his foundation and grows the song.  I was feeling the guitar could have been the warriors saying, man, I really don't want to do this and they chatter as the darkness around them builds.  Then he brought some cello to it and the bow elongates the notes greatly so this felt like the troops were aligning and getting ready.  After that he went to wind it down and then over.

We don't know if they will fight.  We know they didn't just now.  I talked with Voodoo after the show about it and he told me why he was playing anything with a dark vibe to it.  There's no crisis in his life but he had his reasons for some darkness.  Many times things are not so direct as you play something and it may lead itself like a Ouija board and you'll discover something that sounds cool, even if it's dark.  You can hear what it sounds like to you but, in large part, you're thinking, hmm, this sounds pretty cool.  But you don't know what that will elicit in anyone else.  You can paint the thing but you really don't know what anyone will see in it.

So we talked about it some as to what he may do.  I wasn't saying anything toward I think it should do this or do that as it's not my place to suggest things like that.  What I can do is tell what I heard and felt so he knows what it creates and this will lead him to wherever he decides to take it.  He knows very well that someone else may hear something altogether different but it's a starting point as he thinks over with himself how it will evolve.

Here's a picture of some Voodoo darkness on one of the wildest stages Cat has ever made.



Darkness was one part of a much wider performance and people came from everywhere for it.  There were some people from Turkey as Onur is a Turkish guitarist and he has played previously at the MusikCircus.  Voodoo really marvels at how people come from around the world and the MusikCircus is an extraordinary example of it as hearing three and four languages at the same time is not uncommon.  It sounds like that would be cacophony but actually it's charming.  It's all part of the magic.


Cat and I are in the middle at the front.  I believe that's Medora on the left but I couldn't even hope to name all the other people.

No comments: