Monday, May 5, 2014

Some More About The Originals

One thing I know about writing a blog article in real time is that I don't like it.  This isn't going to be a complaint, it's just what I learned from trying it as things were left out.  Besides, I like to think about things before I write the report anyway.  So, these, in particular, were standout moments.


This was not the first time I have heard Lisa Brune sing and she has a lovely voice.  Previously I had heard her doing cover songs and she does them beautifully but cover songs don't draw me to a show ... what she did last night would.  In these original songs she was singing more aggressively and it was kind of bringing out some inner beast.  Here at the Galactic Peace Tour editorial desk, we love to hear inner beast coming out and she sounded really good.

FunkyFreddy's guitar work in accompanying her made for a delicious and sophisticated mix.  It's a hell of an irony that he cannot hear her during the performance.  This is the nature of dual streaming so it's a huge act of love from him to transmit his music into the wires so Lisa can pick it up and sing.

Note:  I do not know how much of Lisa's set is currently covers vs originals.  What I do know is what she sang last night.  It was original and it was excellent.



I know there was Big Power in what Jordan Reyne was doing but, for various reasons, it wasn't possible to get a good read on her set.  I know she's singing in a deeper range than many so right away I love it but I don't have a strong enough view of the content of her lyrics to give a good appreciation for what I was hearing.



I mentioned how Voodoo Shilton opened with "Elephant Strut / The Littlest Elephant" and they sounded Voodoo excellent but they weren't fully 'on' ... until he did "Crossroads" and that stunned people.  It's all live with a looper and it sounds like he has three guitars even though he is really only playing one.  I don't mean only that you can tell there are three because there are different musical threads to his play but also that he is altering the sound of each one to further separate them.  In this way, "Crossroads" is true to the theme of the jams with McLaughlin, de Lucia, and DiMeola but it's his own music and it's dazzling.



There's always some risk in mentioning some people from a field and not others but the performances above were exceptional and for the reasons I wrote.  The 'bar' is quite high and it should be as SL performers are that good.  Bring out your best stuff if you're going to be playing with The Originals.  Absolutely do not read anything I write as rating one performer relative to another.  I hate that sort of thing and you won't see it here.

No comments: