Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Lefty Finds the Crossroads at Cat's Art MusikCircus

Seems another has come up to the Crossroads at Cat's Art MusikCircus.  "Crossroads" was lefty Unplugged's closing number and he's not the only one at the Circus contemplating such things.  That's not a criticism as the Crossroads give one of the biggest themes in modern music because that's where they say Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil.  (Vagabonding:  Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil in Rosedale, Mississippi)

It's mixed, tho, as the original Robert Johnson lyrics talk of falling to his knees at the Crossroads but he's trying to get to Rosedale.  No-one seems to know him and he can't get a ride.  What that says to me is the Crossroads are not in Rosedale and they may not even be close.  Search where you will, young grasshopper.



Tell me he doesn't look like Joe Satriani.


Supporting evidence:






I rest my case.


Voodoo has also done a version of "Crossroads" but he has changed it because he doesn't want the association with any deal with the Devil.  It's important to mention Voodoo's version as that one doesn't even resemble the one lefty Unplugged does.  They use the same chords and the same lyrics but that only makes it the same song if you're playing from a fake book for pianists (i.e. fake books have nothing but chords in them).

(Voodoo really doesn't use the same lyrics but that's past the point just now.)

Last night I was noticing particularly that lefty was stretching out his songs.  Perhaps I was just more conscious of him doing it but, regardless, it was cool to hear him extending the themes.  I've mentioned before the meticulous crafting of his songs but part of the genius is that he can alter them as he goes.  I have no idea how much of this is written and how much he pulls from the Necromancer and the Great God Mescalito while he plays but the result is the trippin' that has been characterizing quite a bit of the music at the Circus lately.  lefty talks about Circus Magic and it seems to be enticing people to stretch things and experiment even more.

lefty also seems to be mixing more into his set from songs he hasn't played in a while.  Surprises are good in any case but these were very good surprises.  The set dynamics are probably more important to me as I hear the same sets a lot.  The consideration is still valid as that's a big part of what sets an SL performance apart from RL.  You can get away with repeating a lot of things in RL as people can't see you anywhere near as often as they can see you in SL.

So it was very cool as there was the feeling of taking a song and traveling with it.  The reason I hate pop songs is they never go anywhere.  I want to travel as I listen and lefty is very good at it.


Untolerable Bohemian had a set last night ... but ... SL started showing its best stuff.  Cat could hear him perfectly, as could Eepz, but Tiare from the Big Island and I could not.  I tried everything short of voodoo witchcraft to get it working again but it never started ... until halfway in lefty's set.  It just suddenly started working for no apparent reason.

May I present, Eepz