Friday, May 16, 2014

Music Doesn't Need Report Cards and Letter Grades

There is a growing concern in me that there may be more problem than benefit in the reports I write for shows at Cat's Art MusikCircus.  My position has always been that I will not compare the performers and I don't ... but there's an implicit comparison in writing glowing reports for some and not others.

My concern is that doing this may make performers nervous as some will always be more confident than others.  For example, if I do not write a report for someone one week then what are they to think when they see me at the next show.  It may well be that if I hear nervousness, it could be something I caused by what I write or, maybe worse, from something I didn't write.

I need to talk to Cat about this to find her impression of this.  My purpose is to give a good view of the MusikCircus and the musicians who play there.  They are all deeply-thoughtful musicians or Cat would not stage them.


As to my own show, I can write as I have no confidence anyway.  I have a lot of balls but confidence not so much.

Any show that sees you puking into the toilet five minutes before it starts is probably not going to go well.  I told Cat to warn her I had troubles but I absolutely did not want to cancel.  I hadn't played for her the week before so it was not at all acceptable to cancel again.

I was beautiful, tho.


People on Facebook go on and on about the need to reveal their real selves.  Then they start posting selfies.  So, let's review:  you've got some ol' guitarist who hasn't seen the sun since you could get gasoline for twenty-five cents a gallon and who has been stuffing his face with pasta the entire time.  Oh yes, Godfrey, post a selfie, please!

If you're going to get virtual, might as well have fun with it or why do it at all.  As far as I know, it's not supposed to be a retreat to hang with Tibetan monks.

So, no, I really don't know how the show went but I do know that time was going faster than I thought and that's a good sign.  I probably won't upload anything as "Immer Einfach" got a small test but I wasn't satisfied with it.  I will listen to it as I was surprised by the direction it took and maybe it's still cool.

Gig energy is a magical thing.  One of my greatest musical heroes was dying but he gave a show not long before that happened.  On-stage you couldn't tell there was a thing wrong with him but off-stage people were helping him to stand.  I kind of hope no-one ever tries to get scientific about what the energy around a live show really is because that would, for me, take away from it.  I just want to feel it, I don't care about any numbers.