Saturday, February 20, 2016

Daytona 500 and the Start of Spring

Whether it's Spring in the rest of the U.S., we don't care.  In Florida, at the Daytona 500, it's Spring and it's official with the race tomorrow.



Look closely as there are three cars in that image (no-one was seriously injured)

It would piss me off when people say they 'love to see the wrecks' and that word refers more to ships than to cars but such is America.  I don't want to see the crash, I want to see when they don't.

The finest part of NASCAR is something which doesn't much occur in other forms of big track racing.  For maybe the last fifty miles or more, the fastest of the pack will sort to the top of the field and they run together, inches from each other, at two hundred+ mph.  I hate it when someone crashes and breaks the rhythm because that dance is everything.

And, yes, I do still want to see Danica Patrick win it.  I haven't been following and don't know her chances but it would be too, too cool if she took it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude I am old school racing. I hate touching in open wheel or Lemans cars
But hell the chrome horn is,a wsy of life in NASCAR.
I hate tje wtecks but if they are going to happen I surely want to see it
One year on the backstretch at Dega listening to the scanners and seeing the wreck and hearing the spotter yelling clear and hearing the driver responding with *&&/^/^& one was on top of him
Loud crunching metal tires screeching and drivers screaming
PS order your green screen

Anonymous said...

Has Richard Petty would say if 39 cars wreck she might win it

Unknown said...

I'm not sloughing off on the green screen as I know I found one which was close to perfect but I haven't yet seen it again. A huge concern to me is the strength of the support because a cheap one will almost certainly sag in the middle and then the screen will 'warp' or at least get wrinkles. I'm really not dawdling as you know how it goes: bad kit is worse than no kit.

Keeping the support rigid over twelve or thirteen feet is a big question but it shouldn't be more than about twenty pounds plus the weight of the crossbar. Definitely still looking.

Unknown said...

Well, wtf, maybe thirty-nine others will crash! (larfs)

Anonymous said...

It is,probably a triangle brace from each side to about the 35% range on the cross bar
if not making that support would be simple,ans cheap
Up to you I was jyst letting you know I recovered from too long on Bourbon st and made ir to the bank

Unknown said...

Now it dawns what you meant and I see it. Thank you!