Thursday, February 4, 2016

Ethical Questions Regarding "Andromeda Weeps" Are Resolved

No ethical question is ever resolved or the questions would not arise but the resolution in this context is satisfactory to me because I do not believe there is any other way to properly resolve the question of an errant nuclear missile.

No blasphemy is intended and the thinking is Christ died for the sins of mankind and Jerusalem dies for the sin of radiation weapons.

The above has been the specific question:  is it blasphemous to even suggest such a thing and it's offensive to me to want to make this song just to mock Christians.  If that were my purpose, I would just get a Ted Cruz mask and open a Creationist Museum.


However, if you do see blasphemy in the story then I'm interested to hear it because it isn't my purpose to offend, well, unless you make nuclear weapons.

When I wrote this one, I knew:  it's no more complicated than this.  No blasphemy is intended and the thinking is Christ died for the sins of mankind and Jerusalem dies for the sin of radiation weapons.

Note:  I am not a Christian and I am not proselytizing but I need to know the concepts to properly address them without giving offense through a stupid blunder in ignorance.


Jerusalem did not burn in my original song when I wrote it thirty years ago or whenever it was.  None of these lyrics existed back then either but the chords did and they haven't changed.  Everything else did but they didn't.

Again, if you find it offensive, I'm open to discussion on it but I need a valid basis for that offense (i.e. more than just 'well, it pissed me off').


(Ed:  are you seriously burning Jerusalem just so this won't be a pop song?)

Well, Pops, that's highly harsh and you've got it backward anyway.  Jerusalem needs to burn for the reasons I wrote above and I also don't want my songs to just be pop.  My thinking is not that I don't like pop so let's fuck with the Christians.  I like the passion of punk but I can't say I much like the music and the anarchic lyrics least of all.  If you want to see anarchy, look out a fuckin' window.


If you think Jerusalem is a poor choice for the symbol then I'm seriously interested to hear of a more enlightened choice.  For example, Mecca is a poor choice because it's too pointed and Arabs didn't build The Bomb anyway.  The object is not to burn Jerusalem because Israel has built nukes but rather because the world built them.  I see only one symbol in which most of the world's religions would feel a generally equal loss.  This mustn't be pointed at one over another.

No comments: