Saturday, November 23, 2013

What About the Music - Updated

There is one tiny hold-up to playing anything:  I opened the package with the guitar strings and had them laid out ready to restring the Galaxy Guitar.  I had to get up for some reason and before I got back one of the damn cats got at them.  I have found five but the sixth eludes me.  It's ok as I'll get a battery soon for the laser fingers and I'll drive the little rotters crazy with little red dots.  Payback is a bitch, Felix!

I do have more sets of strings but I'm too cheap to open another one as I never replace an individual string.  If one string is gone then the whole package is gone.

As to upcoming gigs, I'll be playing for Zaphod Enoch in Avination in January.  There will be a show at Woodstock as soon as I am officially functional again.  There will also be one for twistin' at the poolside at Sister Julie's place.  Of course the first gig back will be at Cat's Art MusikCircus.  No way is that negotiable as I need to play for Cat before I play for anyone.  Cat's Art MusikCircus is home in many ways.

There's some futzing about with hardware taking place as the looper I have carried all over Europe is still alive and is still important to me.  I now have the option of using that to drive a Boss DR-880 drum machine via MIDI.  This means that starting a loop on the looper will also start a drum pattern or song on the DR880.  Note when you do this kind of thing that it's important to establish with each device which has the master clock or timing will drift.

While the DR880 has vastly cooler drum patches than the Boss RC-50 looper, it's still a hassle to get into electronic gimcrackery.  I'm not sure how much fiddling about is in my tolerance range and that's yet to be explored.

I've reviewed the Boss RC-300, the replacement for the RC-50, and one very cool thing is that it has more memory for longer loops.  The rest looked about the same but they don't say much about the drum patterns so likely they still sound like frog flatulence.  Whichever Boss looper you use, likely you will want external drum loops.

The Roland GR20 guitar synth is out of the question for a few weeks.  The cable to connect the guitar to the synth costs eighty bucks and they don't last any longer than a political promise.  They're way too expensive to break as quickly as they do but I haven't seen a reputable replacement from anyone else.

The last piece is to run the audio from the mixer to the computer interface to send it out on an Internet stream.  That gives the most of the 'presence' of playing in the room without trying to capture the audio over the air from the speakers.  The latter approach is more 'real' but it also has a tendency to sound muffled and remote unless you mike the speakers very carefully.

I'll run a picture of this once it's all sorted but right now it looks like an aftermath picture from a tornado visitation.

No comments: