Thursday, November 28, 2013

Voodoo Shivers Me Timbers

Last week I was talking with Voodoo Shilton about his heresy that he really doesn't much fancy Godin guitars.  What he said made good sense but of course I will not repeat it as I don't wish to share his Fate of a fire pit in the depths of the Earth for his heretical thoughts about Godin.

Actually I can tell you as I will likely burn anyway.  He's ok.  He's got the Voodoo.

He also asked something that made good sense about my Galaxy Guitar:  is it real ebony on the fingerboard.

Hmm...

I had never questioned it as there is a very different feel between the ebony of a Godin fingerboard relative to rosewood or other types of fingerboards.

But any wood can be stained and perhaps some magic oil makes it slink enough to get by.  Who knows.

Hmmm...

Here's a question and answer with some violinists trying to verify their instruments have real ebony on them.  How to Tell Real Ebony

The easiest solution is ultimate low-tech:  stick your fingernail into the fingerboard on an edge.  If it makes a dent, it's fake.  Ebony is very hard and dense and you won't be able to dent it.

So there's the ultimate test for when the Galaxy Guitar comes back. 

No comments: