Friday, November 29, 2013

Numubu, Scooby Doo Boo

Numubu is one of the latest music-sharing enterprises and you can use it to stream audio and even video.  YouTube is also starting to permit live video streaming but they're going slowly in rolling it out to people whereas Numubu is doing it now.  (Numubu:  Silas Scarborough - my profile)

We don't know how it got such a dumb name but it must have cost big bucks to launch it so someone took it fairly seriously.

The first warning sign is that everyone on Numubu is your friend.  I am so damn tired of all the friends online.  There was a time when your friend was someone who would give you a ride to the airport or maybe even loan you some money when you're screwed but now friends are whomever Facebook says they are.  Pfft.

Something unusual is that one of the first to friend me on there was Uriah Heep, the actual band, after seeing one of my videos.  If you don't remember "Easy Living," then you must have missed the sixties / seventies altogether.  So apparently there are some pretty cool people on there.  Why they would have any interest me is your guess but that's what happened.  (The video was "On the Road with a Mouse and a Chicken" in which I play in the dark with lasers on my fingers.)

I'm not sure how far I will investigate Numubu.  You can play gigs in there and it even has a mechanism for tip jars so you can make some jingle from the show but I can do that in Second Life already and I like the animated environment a whole lot.  It's not just words that playing at Cat's MusikCircus is special, it really is.

What Numubu may have solved is the problem of how to stream to a whole lot of people at once.  If Second Life tries for more than about a hundred, it gets a bellyache and crashes.  While you would make more jingle from a larger audience, you would also lose the intimacy of the relationship with the audience in Second Life where it's not hard to see the name for anyone attending and talk to them.

More to come on this but one thing is definite:  the first gig I do will be at Cat's Art MusikCircus.  That's not a sentimental thing.  I really want to do it.

No comments: