Monday, January 20, 2014

Pickin' and Grinnin' at Merry Pranksters

They like to hold what they call a Picking Party at Merry Pranksters on a Sunday night and this is when a bunch of guitar pickers will get together to play a couple of songs and then turn the microphone over to someone else.  This goes around the circle until it comes back to you and then it starts over.  It keeps going around until either the lights go out or everyone is too stoned to continue.

Note:  south of the Mason/Dixon line the 'G' is not used.  It's a Pickin' Party.  Open a PBR or twist up a fattie, it's time to play.  It's all about pickin' an' grinnin'.


From left to right:  Veronica Weksler (contemporary bluish), Blueboi (blues a la Leon Redbone), Chip Takacs (classic rock), Silas Scarborough (mayhem), OneSummer Oh (blues), Bronze (ballads)

For my first bit, I did "For Shan Chard" again in part for the Lacey vibe and in part just because I wanted to hear it again.  That you want to hear it again may seem an obvious reason for playing a song but there are more reasons than that.  So for this one the sound surprised me quite a bit and a lot of that comes from the way the feedback hovers over a sustained note.  It's very delicate doing stuff like that but when you get the levels right you can do it fairly predictably and that is a very very good moment.  (The link is to the version I recorded on Friday night)

I was just wandering about as I had seen that someone was going over to a 'rock' venue to sing with an iPod and the only reaction to that was OH HELL NO.  (The problem isn't the iPod as do whatever you like but don't even tell me it's rock)  So I wound up at Merry Pranksters.  Jeannie Jannings asked me if I wanted to play and I needed a few minutes as I hadn't been planning on it but I ended up on the stage.

It's a cool thing that Prankster does and they have been doing it for years.  The only requirements for performing in the Pickin' Party are that you have some kind of an act and that you have got the stones to get up there and do it.  You'll get people who have been playing for a long time or a short time but it all works together for a very cool vibe.  This doesn't mean you'll get people who have only just mastered playing an A minor on a guitar as the performers are usually quite experienced.  There's also nothing competitive about it as no-one is 'cutting heads' and no-one gets eliminated, you just take your turn, make a little music, and then pass the mike.

As for good things to do in Second Life, this is one of them.  There's usually a good turnout of jammers and also with people to hear them play.  Try it and you'll probably like the vibe.

No comments: