Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Silas and Grateful Bringing in the New Year at Sunshine Daydream

It's been quite a while but Grateful Stryker and I used to do back-to-back shows in Second Life quite a lot and it was always a lot of fun.  He and I have the same guitar as both of us fell in love with the Godin xtSA.  We have similar stuff in our kits but we get very different sounds and it's always been fun to go back and forth like that.


Grateful Stryker is a very gentle human with a very big heart.  He plays his originals and some covers in a style of his own as he doesn't at all try to be a carbon copy of whatever is on a CD somewhere.  He's a dedicated and determined pacifist and many of his songs show that.  He's a unique character in Second Life and you can often find him at Sunshine Daydream which for years has been the ultimate hippie hangout in the virtual world.

The picture says it to me as Grateful gives everything in him when he does a show and I think the picture kind of shows that.  If you're only hearing the mainstream stuff in Second Life then you're missing one hell of a lot!


My set came after Grateful and I started at 9:50 SLT which is 11:50 pm Texas Time.  This was definitely bringing in the New Year as who cares when New York says it starts.  The New Year begins when Texas says it begins!


This picture was not shot during the show.  You have to do a lot of things at the same time for an online show and adding picture taking to that would blow more than a 20-amp fuse.

Something most incredible is that Cat was there.  That's incredible because for her it was about seven in the morning.  I don't know if your dream is to hear Silas Scarborough making an awful racket early in the morning but that's what happened for Cat.


What you can't tell from the picture is that the colors on her gown move and that's an extraordinary thing to see.  Thank you to Kiran Sporg for the hats!  Happy New Year!

It's a very special New Year as January 1st makes it a year for Cat and I.  One year, six countries, and who knows how many time zones!  Happy Anniversary, Cat!


I started out blasting as lately people have wanted to get stuff demolished and that's good because I like doing it.  However I did a mushy bit maybe halfway through and that got a nice reaction.  And then I knew, uh oh, might have misread this a wee bit.  It's ok, tho, as it was definitely my purpose to be loud as there were lots of friends there who would remember.  I don't do it now so much as I did then when everything had to be hammerhead but I definitely still enjoy explosions.

The studio was moved in-between this and the previous show as there were lots of problems with the way it was.  The trouble with moving stuff is that suddenly something won't work and, yep, that's what happened.  Up until not so long before the show started there was a problem as the music was plenty loud but the stream software couldn't hear it.  Problems like that always turn out to be something trivial ... after you find the solution.

So now the stuff is all moved and a gig is much easier.  I'm still not going to do a lot of them and for all kinds of reasons but I will absolutely put whatever I've got into every gig I do.

This was a grand time and I am very happy that doing the first show in a very long time in a U.S. time zone was a show that happened at Sunshine Daydream.  I've played there so many times and the people there are always wonderful.

Thank you, Brother Grateful, for the invitation to play!

No comments: