Saturday, January 18, 2014

"For Shan Chard" - Silas Live at Lacey's Place - Updated


Update:

The record of "For Shan Chard" has been replaced with a version in which I've sweetened it up somewhat, as always overdoing it.  There's no change to the content of it, only to compression, reverb, etc.  The link is at the bottom of the article.


There has been a celebration of Shan Chard that's been running ever since about 11:00 a.m. and it was still running when I left at about 4:00 a.m.  There were all kinds of people there as, even at four in the morning, there were still over fifty people.  I had been thinking before I went over to play that mine was the last set so it would probably be pretty cleared-out by the time I got there but nooooo.  Bundy Scorpio put an incredible show together at Lacey's Place and not only were there lots of people but Voodoo Shilton was to play a set after mine.



"For Shan Chard" was the first number in my set and it's just a loop on some simple chords.  I didn't know what it was until it started building and then it started feeling like it was connecting.  There was a time when I thought it was unusual to get emotional while playing but these days I think why would you not get that way.

Some people said some very generous things about my playing and I very much appreciate that they did.  Any reaction will inevitably sound like stage banter but the fact remains that I appreciate it.  Being arrogant about politics is easy, being arrogant about music, not so much.

Voodoo Shilton played right after my set and he talked about how things had been with Shan.  This isn't a time to critique except to confirm of course his set was beautiful and he said some very much heartfelt things.  It was an honor to be there anyway but playing back-to-back with Voodoo made it yet more special.  The light has been shining out of Australia this week and in many ways for a long time.


"For Shan Chard" is available now for free on the Ride the Dragon podcast.  If you have an iPad or similar device, you will need to use iTunes to play the tune but it still won't cost anything.

No comments: