Sunday, January 5, 2014

Silas Cranks It at BluesFabrik in Avination

Avination is becoming one very cool place to play and it's very much due to the work and enthusiasm from zaphod Enoch and Ichimomo Nakamura.  I've seen other grids but zaphod and Ichi bring life to Avination and that makes it special.  They have been hosting a good many SL musicians and Nance Brody came over to visit with them while I was there.  She's one of the Big Names of SL music and it was very cool to see her.  Phoenix J is over there as well and zaphod is looking for Untolerable Bohemian also.  If you're getting the feeling that zaphod doesn't do mainstream then you've got that right and there's huge coolness in that.

Cat was planning to be there but couldn't make it.  I believe I'll go to visit her with some chicken noodle soup.  Yep, that's the answer.  This is the first of my gigs that she's missed but that's ok as I'll just do another one.

This was an Engl-Deutsch show in which ich war ein bisschen auf Deutsch sprechen and was also speaking some in English ... when I ran out of German.  zaphod ist in Deutschland aber er ist sehr gut mit Englisch.  I am in Texas and ich bin sehr suck mit Deutsch.  (Ichi did say I was doing much better with German so there has been some improvement, it seems!)


The picture was not taken during the show as there's no way I can do that but rather I shot it later at a shrine Ichi built at the top of a mountain.  It's an incredible build with Japanese gardens and all manner of beautiful things.  She has been working on it for five months!

The show started out with songs with back tracks as I wanted to start out strong but there's one problem with back tracks:  I hate 'em.  I was hating 'em before but I rolled some out as part of getting things going again.  I doubt they will be around for long.  One that came back for a visit in the show was "Love in the Cemetery" as it's fun playing with it and I get a kick out of it that we killed so many beautiful girls in shooting the video.  They were lining up to get killed and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

The main thing to me is what happens on doing "Things That Love Makes" a second time.  One of the hazards is that you have to avoid trying to recall bits from what you did the last time or you're dooming yourself to a second-generation tune.  However, you still want to play the song more or less the same as maybe some people were there at the last show and know it already.  So the song hardly fell into any gooey nostalgia but it still wasn't up to what the first one was.  I don't know if anyone listening could tell that as Yevette came to the show and she said it was a good one.  (Any observation on the song doesn't result in suicidal depression but rather it's interesting to me to watch it evolve.  The song won't just be back, I'm thinking of ways to extend it.)

I need more squish.  "Too Much or Not Enough" became Riana's tune some while back at the MusikCircus and that was cool.  It's a fairly decent song even if it is slow and squishy.  I didn't do it in the show as I don't have my lyrics 'teleprompter' going but that will come soon.  That may well be the only useful purpose the iPad can serve anymore.

Overall the gig went well and there was a good number of people there.  If you're thinking you can't possibly draw a crowd in Avination, lose the thought as it's not true.  They were very enthusiastic, very generous, and it was a grand time playing there.  I recommend it highly and specifically playing for zaphod and Ichi.  Cat has set up a MusikCircus there and she will be staging shows as well but one can only run so many shows in a week so we'll see how that works and probably fairly soon.

I'm really ecstatic over how the Galaxy Guitar sounds and how she feels to play.  I'll get off shouting about that but it's been years since she was in such good shape and the buzz of that is very fresh in my head.

Thanks to everyone who was at the show and I hope to play for you again very soon.

No comments: