Friday, November 25, 2016

Ithaka Breaks Through 700K Reads

How about that for psychotic?


It looks like you're going for a million and unknown if I am but we'll see.

I had thought the big bang on Ithaka was when I was riding Haximoto across Europe but it turns out that's not true.  There was more reading after I tumbled into Texas after it was over.


The scooter run was in 2013 and the big volume wasn't until years later.  Even now it runs higher than it did during the run and this was a surprise to me.  Maybe I had not looked at this previously.  Unknown.


There might not be anyone who has been blogging longer than I since my first 'blog' came out of a program I wrote called SUGGEST™ which ran under TSO on IBM mainframes at UCCC / CITS in at the University of Cincinnati.  That was back in the early 80's and I've been doing it in one form or another ever since.  It was also back in the days of manly software since I wrote in IBM Assembler language and it's not for the timid of heart.

Note:  the trademark symbol is a joke.  There's copyright but there's no trademark.


Later there was a Guestbook perl script and any use of scripts is a step on a descent into hell but I met Yevette that way since she was interested in the demented modifications I had made to the script and so we started to talk.  Some of the really ancient regulars here saw that one on My Duck Soup.

A number of Blogger-type blogs have played through since the Guestbook days and here we are now, over thirty years later.  Fark.


SUGGEST was an adjunct to my ticket out of data processing, SHOW.  The thinking was to develop the great software, sell out, and get the hell out of data processing.  You, too, can be a jukebox hero.

Ed:  were you?

Nope.  Timing is everything and the software did some ridiculously killer stuff but systems staff started evolving away from anything which wasn't box stock due to enormous expense of maintenance problems otherwise.

After some years of pounding it trying to get the software to a state of supreme perfection, it became clear the market was never going to happen.

Ed:  that's why you stayed with the mainframes so long?

Yep.  After all that time developing the program I was stuck.  By that time I was getting paid adequately for doing systems programmer things and matching that any other way was extremely unlikely.

Ed:  so the answer is to decide earlier to be a bum for life?

Exactly.  Now you're getting it.  Wanna jam?

No comments: