Tuesday, November 29, 2016

How to Avoid Depression from Facebook

If your first thought on avoiding Facebook depression is 'don't use Facebook' then it means your mind still functions and they haven't managed the reprogramming to turn you into an online meatbot.  However, for those meatbots, there is helpful advice from the psychologists at the University of Lancaster.  (Science Daily:  How to avoid feeling depressed on Facebook)

Here are certain 'risk factors' the researchers identified for Facebook:

Facebook users were more at risk of depression when they:

· Felt envy triggered by observing others

· Accepted former partners as Facebook friends

· Made negative social comparisons

· Made frequent negative status updates

- Science Daily


Note:  if you're not laughing yet, you may not be quite getting the point of this article.

Ed:  you don't need Facebook for any of those things

Right you are, Cap'n.

The researchers were not reviewing Facebook but rather the level of malcontent in the country and obviously it's enormous or people wouldn't use Facebook in the first place to hide from anything they find disturbing (i.e. just about everything, most particularly themselves).


When Mystery Lady and I talked earlier, she asked 'what's the deal with all the selfies they shoot?'

Keep in mind these are the offspring of the soccer moms and dads who controlled every breathing moment of their lives.  It doesn't take Psychology Today to see a bunch of young people desperately trying to define themselves as something which is not their parents.  That they keep doing it only shows this way does not work.

Ed:  your father did that to you!

He did that to all of us and at least some of the sibs are still competing with him but the unanimous reaction was to outwork him rather than throwing me, me, me graffiti all over the place.

Note:  the competition is resolved when you realize you are him and have been all along.




Here's a non-selfie:


Relax, paedos, as she's out of your league.  This picture was from long enough ago that she's a young woman now, much too old for you.  She probably has some swain's heart all aflutter now and maybe makes babies of her own.

She does not represent a violation of the family's No Babies mandate.  I wasn't sure who she is but Yevette estimated the picture was from 2003.  She definitely ain't a baby no mo'.  She's not in my family but the No Babies mandate still applied because, well, she is one ... or was a long time ago.

As to the photograph, I love the composition but the exposure is estimable.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know the competition you speak of. Or this outworking syndrome

Unknown said...

He sure made a generation of workaholics but there's sometimes a tendency to bust him for this or that which creates a bit of a conflict when he is me (i.e. any of us).

Anonymous said...

Maybe Doc and yourself are workaholics
There is certainly a difference from working to survive and workaholic. I know I was never a workaholic.
And I am sure I have never seen my life as a competition with him or anyone else for that matter

Unknown said...

I'm surprised as I thought all the sibs were afflicted the same way. Neither you nor Doc have much good to say about the old boy but the other sibs don't either. I've seen that as a form of competition but I don't mean to argue since it's hardly important. Anne gets generally good press from everyone so it's unusual is all.

Anonymous said...

I think he was an awesome teacher and research scientist. He had absolutely no clue on raising kids. I guess he did better as a Gpa but my kids never knew him.

Unknown said...

Those are the primary things which inspired me as he always worked for greatness so you better do that too ... as soon as you find something worth doing.

Being a Gpa isn't hard as you only have to spoil the hell out of them and let their parents deal with the result. It's the role of grandparents everywhere. Even I could handle that one.

As you say, before that with children he had no idea what he was doing but all of them had fun when he was old. It's a shame your kids missed it but maybe not since some were counting how many times each kid went to the movies and I'm sure you remember how ugly that stuff could get.

Anonymous said...

He didnt always aspire for greatness. I dont know where Doc got his drive as a wrench but it didnt come from The Ol Man as he was a terrible mechanic. He didnt have a clue mecanically same as wood working. He felt those were chores are just did enough to get by.

Unknown said...

What I took from that was I'll be good at what I do ... assuming I ever find something ... and I'll pay other people to be good at what they do. That could have gone better when I paid to have a tree delivered and they dropped the truck on my foot. Generally, tho, that approach worked.

Anonymous said...

He didnt pay to mechanic go carts and he attempted multiple furniture projects. He was a finacial nightmare.
He was only good at teaching and research. He did very little else above ok or average.
As I have said many times almost everything he taught me about life he taught through what not to do.

Anonymous said...

Check out the proposed sculpture for Memphis Airport.
It uses Alex color gradients to create the illusion of movement

Unknown said...

That would give the ol' boy a smile.

I just did see the "Giro" sculpture and I'm curious to know what it looks like when they build it so hopefully they will.

Unknown said...

One lesson I took was if I don't know how to do it then find someone who does because it will only cost more if I try it and dork it up.

There weren't that many practical life lessons I picked up because I didn't much live in the world people think is real. Almost all of my time was engaged with computers or music or a combination of the two.

The best and the worst lesson for me was there was no real guidance on anything. It's kind of like Indiana Jones bitching to his father about how they never talked so ol' dad says, "What do you want to talk about?"

Jones chokes and can't think of a thing (larfs).