Wednesday, November 11, 2015

That There is Everywhere

Journo writes, 'the point that the fellow was trying to make,' and it is straight out of the Redneck English Cookbook.  You know, y'all go down by that there tree stump an', you know, dadgummit, I don't rightly know where you go after that ... there.

Next, the journo recalls, 'things I used to say,' and see above about the Redneck English Cookbook.  In English, we say, 'thinks I once said.'

You know, that there grammar book I used to use ... well, you know, it don't mean doodleysquat.


Something we notice from the same Cookbook is that which we often see with those who are struggling with English as a second language because correct use of commas is difficult to achieve ... so they don't bother.  It's much like texting language for juniors as they don't use commas either.  Welcome to the Third World and, hey, y'all going to eat all of that there food on yer plate?  I used to love that stuff and if'n you ain't goin' eat it all then maybe you could oughta leave a little for me.


We imagine the Elders in Russia are screaming the same thing:  those young 'uns talk like they are from fucking Ukraine.  We can't teach them anything.

No, I'm not dreaming of being an English teacher.  You know, one of that there English teachers I used to have taught me to hate "Silas Marner" for life.  If there is anything less conducive to the enjoyment of reading and learning English than that book, it's a high school English teacher.  This possibly explains why no-one bothers to learn it anymore.  Most of my English came from reading sci-fi and high school was a non-stop waste of time.

Looks like the texters would have been better off reading sci-fi than going to high school, assuming, contrary to all evidence, they ever went near one.

No comments: