Monday, November 30, 2015

That Was Just Swell

Gabriel's Horn trumpets from the side of the building and that goes for two measures, baleful and slow (from what he can see, everyone in Fort Worth is getting vaporized).  So that played from the video master and I had the levels balanced to be able to pick up on the keyboard to feel out how that goes in making a bridge from Gabriel's Horn to the first intro loop of the song.

The flow is you hear Gabriel's Horn for a two-bar riff.  That drops off to the background spooky groove as the car drives out of town.  Strange things start happening on the road and that's when I need to come in by recalling Gabriel's riff and then picking up the tempo of it.  That's the part which I was trying tonight and that felt good.  It came in as a piano and that voice felt good too but there's room to try something else.

The main thing for that bridge bit is picking up the beat for the loop to start.  That worked out well and I'm highly sure this approach works musically.

Since the loop was started, what should I do ... walk away from the guitar.

That didn't happen and it was sounding like a lot of confidence in the notes of it, continuity of them, speed, blah de blah.  There's a risk because stronger confidence is less risk musically but more risk of reducing the emotional impact to me in doing it.  That's a risk which has to come because I'm set on this approach.

The guitar playing went on for quite a while and part of the thinking while I was doing it was you can't record it this long and another part saying, screw that, keep on going, record it as long as you like.


After that I went to the back of the house and Yevette said it was beautiful.  Of course I thanked her and then she said it's better than anything else on.  Right away, I've got to be the smart ass and told her, well, I could tell elephant jokes and be better than what's happening.

It was dumb to do that and I saw that right away.  She felt a bit defensive like maybe she had insulted me so that seriously needs to be covered when she has just said a nice thing.  I did tell her I appreciate it and I do.  Confirmation doesn't hurt even a tiny bit.  So, definitely, thank you, Yevette.


There won't be any taste test recordings of it uploaded because doing that would screw it up for everyone, including me.  It's got to come out all at once because this song is definitely the sum of the bits.  I like doing a groove on a single chord sometimes but this one is for a different kind of trips.

This is definitely not shredding.  It's huge to bring a lyrical sound and the risk to that is in go on down that same road and end up in Schlager Musik Town.

Things have been in kind of a conglobatidinous way but that really only works for pill bugs (i.e. doodle bugs for them Southerners).  If you conglobate, you roll up into a ball for protection.  If at that point you decide, screw it, rolled-up makes it harder for other creatures to bite me and it's warmer so you stay that conglobated way, that would offer a conglobatidinous demeanor, (cough) if you will.

So, whichever way the pillbug conglobates, the jams are still happening.

The biggest outstanding problem is being able to see the fingerboard of the guitar when all the lasers are firing.  There doesn't seem much else for that other than just do it.  There still needs to be a trial without lasers, tho.  That will be a musical 'sanity check' to drop down into the video and find how it plays with the rest.  With that in-hand, let it rip with the lasers and find what happens with that.

Eventually the rain will stop and it will be possible to shoot the monk on the porch scene.

No comments: