Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Fast Lane at the Market


Note:  clicking Like won't do anything, the image has no associated link.

Contrary to any perceived sexist ways, it comes sometimes, "Girl, this Cinderella stuff ain't so cool," and Yevette knows it's not a cheapshot.  Details on that aren't important and none of your business anyway.  She's my friend and things balance or we talk and then they balance.

I go to market every few days if there's jingle to do it and it's healthy for me with the walking, carrying, etc.  I like to do it because the bread must be fresh,  grapes must be fresh, maybe need some tomatoes and I'm highly selective on them because any squish is too much and too solid is not ripe enough ... and you know to do that already.

I can't say it's as pleasant as it was to go to market in Greece where I knew the owners and talked with them in my severely-weak Greek.  That was a lovely thing but Wal-Mart isn't terrible and I've found the people there, mostly, are charming.  Here's the part you won't believe as so am I.  Assuming people there are stupid is arrogant and not at all understanding of humanity.

One guy who works there and with whom I talk sometimes seemed a little bit creepy because he came a bit too close to my personal space and blah de blah.  He said to me yesterday, "Some guy asked me if I want to get married."

I thought, this is heading for the creepy zone and I said, pleasantly with a laugh, "I'm gone."

He says quickly, "I asked him, you got a million dollars?"

That's how it goes at Wal-Mart.

So I like taking my time and calling Wal-Mart 'going to market' may seem a bit perverse but I do it that way and I take my time walking about.  I really don't need a fast lane like this because it wouldn't be like market anymore.


On that same theme, if something is labeled 'organic' then I almost certainly will not buy it.  I don't believe the labels and have no reason to suspect any problem from any produce.   Somewhere people got the idea pesticides, fertilizer, etc do not wash off with the rain and I have no time to waste with such paranoia and I'm particularly not going to pay more money for it.

There is very little meat in the diet and I'm not a vegetarian but I like a more diverse, much more Mediterranean approach to food.  If you eat a lot of meat then you need to take in enough fiber to poo pine trees and, to my thinking, that's just silly.  If you're taking commercial products to get that fiber, don't even think about telling me you care about your health.

Labeling things with GMO also makes no difference to me and people often push that more as a political agenda than anything else.  Recombinant genetics goes far beyond screwing with food and requires an Ethics Board of scientists and clergy for further pursuit of it but, in the context of food, I could not possibly care less.

A bit of a digression from the point in the last but it doesn't look so bad.

No comments: