Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Triumphant Return of the Schwinn Sting-Ray

We (i.e. me) noticed earlier the bicycle is emblazoned with Sting-Ray rather than the name everyone has used of Stingray.  Since Schwinn put it there, this seemed ample authenticity and good reason to discover the history from, oh, fifty years ago.  It's now been verified, due to a raging case of OCD, in mid-'63, Schwinn introduced the String-Ray with a 'chopper seat' and 'ape-hanger handlebars' and they used exactly those words.

Herewith, the resultant chopper bicycle, now in the proud ownership of Yevette because, wtf, sometimes a girl ought to be able to get something nice just because she fuckin' wants to do it.  I know you hear that, Mystery Lady (larfs).  The painting, drawing, whatever you call it is such marvelous spirit.

Note:  I had nothing to do with something nice but I do confess to egging her on somewhat (i.e. shamelessly).



Note:  Yevette shot the pic while I only 'sweetened' it a little (i.e. added contrast to enhance color a bit).  There were three others but this one killed them and I love the composition, fortuitous or no.


You knew the poetic part was coming so let's get past it since that may be the best ever pic of Toby the Dog while, together with the Sting-Ray, he looks wistfully down the trail.  Get as schmaltzy with that as you like and it travels well.

There's no problem with remembering the past; the problem only comes from trying to live in it.


We did talk about shooting video of Yevette's Wild Ride and she is amenable to it, maybe more so because I made clear how much I loathe videos of the nature 'Granny lost her skirt at the wedding reception.'  Why the blazing hell would you deliberately embarrass yer grammy, especially when she thinks she can be safe and happy with family.  It's sincere; I loathe that thinking and the vile creatures who do it.

She said she wants to dress a little better and don't take that as dressing like pre-junior high school since that would be way, way too weird for video unless Andy Warhol is shooting it.  Dressing better for a bicycle just wasn't the kid-in-the-sixties way but some parts of that kid grew up and now she wants to ride again.  Looks to me like she's just about set for it.

She did say, man, it's so much smaller than I remember but that would follow, wouldn't it.  I hope you get the charming vibe of it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought we called those banana seats.
And butterfly handle bars.
Your terms come from David Mann and Eastrider.
Maybe those terms are local texas not left coast terms

Unknown said...

I wasn't getting (cough) poetic with it and was surprised to see that language in the WIKI regarding the history of the bike. Apparently they used that stuff in the original promo mid-'63 but, like you, I remembered nothing of it and those terms are remembered to you in the same way as with me. That they thought those words would work with a bicycle targeted for girls is just a wee bit weird but ... sixties (larfs).

If you figure that out, take a look at Ratt Fink since I still have no idea what his trip was.

Anonymous said...

That is revisionist history by Wiki
Schwinn called them hi-rise handlebars and bucket saddle.

Unknown said...

Those swine! They even desecrate the Stingray (larfs).

I agree as I never heard such terms for them either so maybe someone plays bicycle pull-my-finger but it ain't me.

Anonymous said...

Shes a beauty!! Good for ya Yvette! And YES I do understand. ML

Unknown said...

She's showing it off to a friend just now and did a swell job with it as you can see. She did all the wrenching. Wild thang (larfs). She's having a ball with it.