Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Lucubrate is Best Word of the Day in Ages

My vocabulary is good so I want it to stump me and this one did but the university crew knows immediately what it means:  to work by artificial light.  It derives from the Latin and at first that seemed odd but they meant candles.

(Insert Atlantis speculation as you will)


Some called it 'booking' since there's the need to work through a large pile of pages ... tonight (larfs).

And you did it too, didn't you.

Because the most important thing was never let anyone see how hard you had to work to do it.  You probably did that too because uni is like that and those kinds of stunts seem important at the time.

(Ed:  anything which reaches the goal without cheating is a win!)

Fair enough.


So I lucubrated as though demons were on my trail.  That's got to deliver immediate confusion with half the crowd hearing the 'ate' suffix and thinking, oh yeah, that's something dirty, isn't it (larfs).


I'm such a ryanic (i.e. aggressively boring) dreep I even read dictionaries from time to time although this was in the post HQ where I was surrounded on all sides by high-ranking officers and there were only two groundlings, John Freyking and I, in the center of the room.  The dictionary was a legal thing to review since I would have been busted immediately if I took a novel to work with me.

Get this, I had a SECRET clearance just to be in the room and they even had a red phone locked in a box in connected secure room, different from the active secure room.  Maybe it called the Lord, who cares (larfs).


There was just nothing else to do for eight hours except sometimes they wanted me to file things but they probably knew I didn't give a shit where I put them.  They never looked for them so I knew it didn't matter and it was an opportunity to screw off for a while in a different way from the usual screwing off.

It was kind of comical as they must have had their boys out in the desert testing new hotshot artillery but they weren't stupid and they must have known artillery was as close to obsolete as they were.


That was the trouble, you know ... not enough lucubration (larfs).

No comments: