Sunday, November 1, 2015

Ben Vereen 'Talks' About Making Music and Dance in "Mister Bojangles" in "Fosse" (video)

As a young man the tears were for Mister Bojangles but ... I drinks a bit ... and today I know him better.  I don't know if the tears are for Mister Bojangles or for myself ... but it doesn't matter.  The beauty of this has always brought them.




Today I'm sixty-five and that's an unusual sensation when you're still nineteen in your head but that's no different for me than anyone.

Today I am Mister Bojangles and I'm proud of it because I didn't think I had it in me to stay with it.

Any time an artist like Ben Vereen tells the story, I know it is worth telling.  Mister Bojangles didn't need an audience either, he just knew he had to dance.


Note:  I did have the privilege of seeing "Fosse" on Broadway but Ben Vereen was not performing that night.  Nevertheless, the performance was magnificent and easily one of the best musical stage plays I ever had the privilege of attending.  We somehow wangled box seats for it but I'm not sure how that worked as I've had my ups and downs but I've never been exactly of the landed gentry.  It was definitely a privilege in many ways.

No comments: