Thursday, May 5, 2016

"Midnight Express" - Requested Viewing by Cat

"Midnight Express" is not something I watched previously as watching man love just doesn't fulfill a cinematic dream for me.  Nevertheless, Cat recommended it and her recommendations are always five star.  Despite the reticence, I went on into it and she holds her five star record.  The movie is definitely of high excellence to my tastes.

The first thing we reviewed was man love because I was highly-impressed with how it was expressed.   Both of us felt the strong love of the blonde man for Billy and that Billy returned it but he could only go so far with it.  Both of us also felt it was beautifully portrayed and it was not even faintly exploitative as that would have been an instant killer otherwise.

The second thing was, ok, what hit the most.  That was definitely when he saw his girlfriend and the agony and despair was so much in both them the scene drew tears and from both of us.  (Cat did not preload the viewing at all, only this is a great one and I would like to talk about it.  OK, off I go to watch.)

The second high impact part was when he saw his mother at the end of the movie.  We did not know how she was doing but it didn't seem it could possibly be good because we only knew his father had told him at the start of his trial his mother was not taking it well.  We hear more about his father as it goes along but almost nothing about his mother.  Cat said mother love is too powerful to let her go while her boy's fate is still unknown.  Sure enough, it did not let her go.


There were multiple questions following the movie such as what became of him after he got back.  Did he fall back into trafficking and eventually some horrible end or something else.  Here's the something else.  (WIKI: Billy Hayes)

That covered most questions and here's one Cat asked.  Who made the music.  It turns out he is engaged all over the place.  (WIKI:  Giorgio Moroder)


There was another prison show I watched previously sometimes and it was "OZ" on HBO.  That one was tremendously powerful as well and one particular scene carried it all:  you will never know how soft a man can be.

Fair enough on that and I won't.  I was quite sure I did not want to know so I did not watch beyond that.  "OZ" was deliberately brutal so I did not anticipate artfulness if it did go through to man love and I very much doubt it would have been handled as well as did Oliver Stone with "Midnight Express."

Note:  he was only smuggling hash or I would not be as forgiving.


There are some in accuracies in the telling and here is the direct view of it from the man himself (only a short intro is auf Deutsch | about two minutes):

No comments: