Saturday, May 18, 2013

Silas Scarborough Actually Likes Eggs!

First they tell you that you shouldn't eat eggs and now they say you should.  I'm glad chickens never paid attention!  Trolls are trivial, much like a rock in your shoe, and best to just chuck out the rock and forget about it.  Rather than telling you what happened in a tiny part of the gig on Thursday, much better to tell you what happened in the rest of it.  If I had written the previous report for anyone else, I would have fired myself for a bad job!  I wrote it as a performer and not as a reporter and that's useless.

The show ran for about an hour and a half or so.  Cat and I had talked about picking up the pace between songs which is about the same as we already know:  SHUT UP AND PLAY!  (laughs)

So I did that and I'm still not completely pleased with the sound but there wasn't a frenzy this time running right up to show time getting things dialed-up.  I'm not clear on why the sound changed after I went online with it but that will be technical gibberish I will figure out before next time.  You may have come to read here for a number of reasons but I'm sure reading about turning knobs and pushing buttons was not one of them!

Much of the first part of the show was using back tracks and this is what I advise others not to do.  There's nothing wrong with using back tracks but don't use the same material all the time.  I won't play them the same way twice but that doesn't mean it's ok to play the same set list for every show.  I can give you a perspective on this that I can't give for others as everyone has a different reason for playing one set of his or her music or another.  For me, it's about working up these songs so the sound is right, the play is tight, and then they're goodness in my pocket that I can bring out when the time is right.  However, I understand very well that my audience is always one millisecond away from teleporting to another location so it's vital to keep the music fresh.

And that was the coolness in this show.  Mostly people stayed to hear it through.  If they're bailing out during your show, it's not their fault but mine and that's part of the magic of online music.  In a real-world concert, the lights are in my eyes and I have no idea what's happening out there but the virtual world lets me see people's names and talk to them during the show.  It's a very special thing ... just do NOT talk too much (laughs).

It's becoming a signature to do "I Love Rats" at the end of the hour and even that I shouldn't do all the time but it's wild fun to play it and people feel that.  It got particularly insane this week as I can push harder as I get more back into this and that one got explosive!

After the show, people go on to other gigs and other things but then I played for Cat and Riana Magic.  This time was very special as it doesn't matter how many people are there but rather how it feels.  Of course the rest of the gig was wonderful but this part was different.  There were no back tracks and no distortion, just play from where the Necromancer lives and whatever he sends us.

(Ed:  I thought necromancers conjured up the dead and ...)

Those are the bad necromancers, bro.  This is a good Necromancer who rejoices in the spirits around us but doesn't get so arrogant as to ask them to do his bidding.  They send us love if we're only open to listen and feel.

So this part of the show went on for another half hour or so.  Cat and I couldn't dance but she had a special place to sit and look beautiful!


The picture was shot by Cat and she is an incredible virtual photographer.  She is also very good with real-world photography but she does major stuff with virtual as well.  You may think I'm blinded by love in what I say but hold on with that judgment until you have seen her work.  It is very powerful stuff both in concept and in execution and she doesn't use Photoshop for it!

Out beyond the darkest, farthest place you ever traveled,
or imagined you would ever be
And out beyond the penetration of the light
from the farthest star,
Out where the music and the love
come to us all,
That's where you will find him,
The Necromancer

And that's how it was for that last half hour, music and light and love.  That doesn't mean the rest of the show was at all bad, just that this part was different in playing totally for what Cat's Art MusikCircus means the most:  playing freely in whatever comes to your head.

No comments: