Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Death of the Guitar Synthesizer

My guitar synth is a Roland GR-20 and, technically, it's not dead.  However, if you send bogus MIDI to it then it will give bogus sounds back and that's what is happening.  The Galaxy Guitar has experienced as many orthopedic events in its life as I have and that includes the neck being broken, the neck being severely compromised after a long flight, and, the one that is causing the problem now, a bridge problem after yet another accident.

What's unique about a Godin xtSA is that there is a MIDI 'pickup' and that sends MIDI over a thirteen-wire cable to a guitar synthesizer such as the Roland GR-20.  That's very cool as it means I can have the guitar sound like a saxophone if I like.  I can even make it play drums.  However, the part that is a problem is the MIDI 'pickup' is part of the bridge so the accident compromised it in some way.

That the guitar synth doesn't work was verified a few days ago as I finally located a transformer to permit converting power from 220V to 120V (US) so I could use it without frying it.  I'm very sure the problem is not the MIDI cable as I've run into those types of problems previously and typically those manifest as strings going dead.  Unfortunately, a thirteen-wire cable is not standard MIDI so testing with another cable is extremely difficult.  Nevertheless, it's not likely to be the problem as the note information the synthesizer was getting was inaccurate and that has never happened before.

All this is significant as I would like use the synth and that means finding a qualified Godin technician who can fix it.  This is all part of the reason for rolling out as there's no-one anywhere near here who can do it and possibly not even in Athens.

No comments: