Thursday, May 23, 2013

Silas Scarborough RezDay in Second Life

Fark, it's been seven years!

When this started, I was recording songs in the Scarborough Rockhouse, so named because it was on Scarborough Road in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and I was submitting them to MacJams where people to this day have a good old time reviewing each other's music and trying to help each other improve it.  MacJams remains one of the most nutritive sites anywhere for learning this craft.  The jammers ask nothing more for listening to their work other than to contribute a few words on what you thought of it.

(Ed:  You got your name from a street?)

Um, yeah, is that alright?  (laughs)

I had no thought of performing live in any way as I was locked solidly into the corporate matrix and escape any way other than death was impossible, financially, practically, whatever.  However, Slim Warrior, known more often as Slimmie, was relentlessly encouraging people to try Second Life.  I resisted for some time as it had a reputation as nothing more than a sex pit and I had no interest.

In May of 2006, I went into Second Life for the first time but it wasn't to perform.  I had been making videos and the time required to generate animations, even with multiple very high-power Mac computers, was excessive (e.g. days to generate fifteen seconds of video due to massive ray tracing).  The prospect of being able to design sets for videos in Second Life and use those in my own creations was most interesting to me.

In Second Life, I met Telia Soyer and Silky Underall and they resolved to turn me into a rock god.  In a relatively short time, their creation was complete and I became a twenty-eight year old rock stud capable of sending any young woman into a state of ecstasy, or so it appeared.  They became the Dangerous Beauties and we did a video show at Sunset (the original before it became the Jazz Club under Circe Broom).  The show was not live but it was still a lot of fun and from there I started auditioning.  The first serious effort was with Circe Broom and she staged me soon after.  So began a relationship that went on until she died.  This all started in 2006.

Telia and I got married but with the provision that we would never actually see each other in real life, not even a picture.  To this day, I have no idea what she looks like and have never met her.  Even so, this went on until 2008.  This was the Age of the Dangerous Beauties and they danced in my shows for almost all of that time.  Near the end, Telia needed to abandon Second Life as her kids were going off to college.

At the end of 2008, I got quite sick and that was fixed by surgery to correct that problem plus subsequent surgery to replace my shoulder.  Even though there was extensive surgery after the bike crash in 1991, the shoulder was now thirty percent destroyed.  The consequence of that medical activity was that I lost my job, my house, and almost everything I owned except for my musical equipment and my computers.  While devastating, this turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me as it freed me from virtual wage slavery that would inevitably have resulted in a heart attack on the job and Good Night Irene.

So began the Galactic Peace Tour in which around a hundred and thirty thousand dollars went up in smoke, some due to theft and the rest to the chaos of the time in trying to survive.  The best part of the Galactic Peace Tour was the Cincinnati concert in 2010.  That's when "I Love Rats" came to life and I've been having fun with it ever since.  Everything went all to hell after that but "I Love Rats" lives!  I've also still got the tracks for "On the Road with a Mouse and a Chicken" and that one may make an appearance tonight.

The story of the Galactic Peace Tour was grossly manipulated and transmogrified on Facebook and any thought I will ever forgive that would be so optimistic as to make even Walt Disney call it absurd.  On deciding that dying in Greece would be better than being anywhere near the bastards who did it, I got in the wind again.  It's been said I was being chased by cops but that's just another stupid Facebook lie and it's being retold to this day!

Once in Greece at the end of 2012 (where I have no intention of dying!), I discovered the Internet speed is about what you would get by putting a string between two cans but it was enough to get into Second Life again.  This is when I met Cat Boucher and she has been an incredible supporter of music for years.  We talked and talked and, what do you know, True Love happened.  I had been to the MusikCircus fairly recently a few times to hear Reis and Aldo but I didn't know about the other performers there and I was fascinated.  She is an incredibly interesting woman and definitely the most Dangerous Beauty of all!

So ended the B-Cubed Era (B3 = Ball-Busting Bullshit) and I found a reason to start playing again even though most of the instruments were sacrificed to stay alive in America.  I did not think there was any chance the Internet speed would be fast enough to permit streaming my music into Second Life but Cat and I talked about it a lot so we tried it and, what do you know, it worked!  We don't care about the physics of why it works, it just works and I'm damn glad to be playing for her and also for you.

Playing at Cat's Art MusikCircus may very well be the only place I play in Second Life but that is just fine with me as it gives great pride to be in the company playing there and it's a particular pleasure and honour to be playing for Cat.  Yes, it is an honour as her knowledge of music is extensive and she doesn't stage anyone unless they meet her standards.  I will be playing there again tonight and, again, I'm damn proud to do it.  The new Silas has been reborn, albeit with grey hair, and the music lives again!

(Ed:  Is that all to say about Cat?)

Hell no but that's for us to know and you ain't going to hear it!  (laughs)

No comments: