Saturday, May 11, 2013

Musical News Flash

After much searching, I found a transformer to convert 220 volt Euro power to 120 volt U.S. power and this is a big deal to me because it permits me to get another device into play.


This is a DigiTech Vocal 300 and it is most pleasing to get it active again as the mike was running dry which may be ok if you're a CNN news reader as what you're saying is flat and stupid anyway.  You can click on the image to see a higher resolution view of it and this will reveal the list of modifiable parameters on the left.  Through injudicious use of them I can sound like Alvin from Alvin and the Chipmunks to Darth Vader and, oh sure, I'll demonstrate those some time but I have no idea where they will fit.

What it will NOT do is auto-tune.  While I have no huge problem with auto-tune so long as one stays cool with it, this device does not do it.

What I want from it is a touch of reverb and a bit of compression to give some more depth to the sound.  As with any effects device, if you over-use it then it just sounds like a sideshow ... but that still won't stop me from doing Darth Vader for something or other!

If you're going Euro, get the transformers, etc, before you go as they are one hell of a lot harder to find here than, say, running down to a Radio Shack.  Note:  it is VERY important to know the electrical requirements of the country / countries in which you will visit or stay.  That which will work fine in England will not necessarily work in other countries in the EU.  Do heed that or look for smoke when you plug in your devices!

No comments: