Sunday, April 30, 2017

Mixed Improvement in the Midwest

Any improvement translates more accurately to a reduction in horribility but that still counts since the morning had been brutal for Yevette this week.  The chemo does significant damage to the esophagus and that caused quite a bit of pain but there is blessed sleep on the weekends and that gives her some chance for a bit of recovery.

Note:  do not read chemo as one size fits all as there's no telling which chemo drugs would be indicated for your situation and they're not all the same.  Yevette's reaction has been harsh but this is not necessarily an indication of how things will go for you.


This part is all-out Mother Goose and I try not to do something she does which bugs me no end in asking whether there's anything else I need.  I told her that too and she laughed.

Don't underestimate the number of laps back from the Rockhouse part of the place back to where she hangs since Mother Goose don't got nothin' on me.  The trick is getting the right read to be sure I'm not pushing anything.  The dead worst thing I can do is blow sunshine at her since she just needs a bit of support and she even apologizes for her inability to do it herself.  It's ok to blow some sunshine at that part since this isn't about apologies, girl.  No chance this was your fault or you chose it.


I like to think I bring a bit more patience than Tactical since he can get a bit gruff and he would go through the roof if he knew the temperature in the place ... but ... jet down, cowboy.  I'm not setting the thermostat for me but for her and she specifically asked.

Usually she is the first one who is displeased over the temperature but times change and it's set to 85F just now.


This is not so much of a horror story as it seems since we're going into the last week of this now and there won't be any chemo in it so the effects of it will mitigate as we get more into it.  Plus I get my stitches out tomorrow so that's a peach since the itching will drive anyone demented.  I'll likely ask Yevette to pop off a snap of it since you will probably be amazed at how quickly the scar fades.


One more week and then graduation.  It's only six weeks back that we got the word:  chemo and rad in two weeks.  Be there.

Of course that seems like a lifetime ago now but it really hasn't been that long.


If you're taking notes, the ganja was of no use to her since the smell of it nauseates her.  In pill form it might be helpful but I have no personal knowledge of its efficacy.  I'm a great fan of the ganja but I'm not going to pitch anything if I don't know it's true.

Note:  it does not make her feel 'nauseous' since that word means you nauseate other people.  It's correct to say you feel nausea or you feel nauseated.  Look it up and see for yourself.  I've known that for some while and it amuses me whenever I hear the expression since there's only one reaction I would get for correcting anyone:  you make me nauseous.


There are no Pollyannas running about and we know nothing is ever over but logic and all available evidence indicate the chances of remission are high.


Hopefully at least some of you have learned something since I sure know I did.  If you have been hanging with it through the series than a hat tip to you since it's been tough going but hopefully beneficial to someone to get a better idea of how it really goes.


One more week and out.  That simple knowledge sustains her with, yes, I can hack it.

There hasn't even been a hint of boohoo, why me.  There hasn't even been a tiny peep of that.  She doesn't think she's tough but you may well find you're tougher than you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a relief to know the treatment is finally coming to an end--I know it was hell and seemed much longer the six weeks. I knew Yvette would hang tough and Silas gets a gold star for his caregiver support! Now that all that nasty cancer has been killed off (and some good stuff in the process too)--time to rest and boost up the nutrition (for both of you!!)-Hugs, ML

Unknown said...

Hugs back at you as it seems only now I start coming out of a tunnel and I dunno about any gold stars but I like to think I did ok and the patient did survive so I did honor the principle of do no harm.