Friday, April 28, 2017

Cahokia: An Ancient Civilization in the United States

Cahokia isn't just a keyword from the second "National Treasure" movie which, thankfully, again featured Diane Kruger as a costar.

Cahokia was a large-scale civilization in the middle of America and, as you will hear in the video, it was well-known in Washington.  Thomas Jefferson gets a clear mention since he knew about it.





Cadillac Man, you will be delighted to hear my old friend, Manifest Destiny, is back in the mix and the significance from a wider historical perspective of possible personal interest is the presence of the mound civilizations in multiple places in Ohio as well.

I first saw an example of Indian mounds somewhere near Saint Louis in the early 60s.  I was 13-14 and was suitably impressed but I could never find the place again and I did try while I was trying to put together the Galactic Peace Tour a few years ago.  That one poofed when my bete noir said, "I thought I was going to plan it."

Yeah, like your lame ass ever planned anything.  Get out.


Little remains of the mound civilizations and that's a big question in the video:  why not?

We hear a fair amount in early education about those wicked Aztecs and how they loved using their pyramids to chop the hearts out of their human sacrifices.  That plays big time in a history class and, also, we observe to feeding the endemic xenophobia in America.  There are no wicked people in America like that because, well, we wiped them out.  See above about Manifest Destiny.

After Standing Rock, it needs to be repeated:  Manifest Destiny never stopped.

No comments: