Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Mohs Procedure for Skin Cancer

Mohs surgery is used for step-wise removal of skin cancer in which the surgeon removes tissue, sends it off for biopsy, and repeats until the biopsy result comes back negative.  This was the procedure used to remove basal cell carcinoma on my lip about eight years ago or so.  (WIKI:  Mohs surgery)

The above is in layman's terms as it was explained to me before doing it.  Removal of any previous incidences of basal cell of which there were three or four was done under local anesthetic and there were no recurrences in any of the locations.

The cure rate for Mohs surgery with basal cell carcinoma is about 98% and that drops to about 52% for certain types of melanoma.

The current problem does not resemble previous basal cell carcinomas since those did not show any discoloration but manifested as no more than an annoying bump.  If you have anything of that nature, see a doctor because it's not just a bump.  Basal cell carcinoma is not malignant but it will not stop growing either.

The current situation shows all the red flag symptoms insofar as it's different colors, it itches, and it grows.  None of the others were like that and, hence, the reason for concern.  This is not new material and I've been through it before; I know this is definitely not the same.  There's a pic in the article, "Veterans Day at the Rockhouse."


Note:  I was not a combat veteran and I sucked as a soldier but I was given an Honorable Discharge.  Nevertheless I showed up and my big balls critics did not.  The VA ranks priority from combat veterans on down so I am in no way competing with those who shed blood on the field in the military.

No comments: