Thursday, May 5, 2016

This is Not a Political Blog so How About Greece

Instead it's a blog which has some political content in it.  There's quite a bit just now because of the insane progress of the election but, beyond that, there is little interest in politicians and, for the last twenty years, there hasn't been much reason to take interest in them.  Democrats try to do things and Republicans stop them; repeat for twenty years.

(Ed:  they stopped Obama from taking our guns!)

Um, please refresh my memory if you would.  When did he ever come for them?


If you like, go back to 2012-2013 as I was in Greece at that time, frequently starving but absolutely loving being there.  In time there was no way to stay or I would have ended up staying in an abandoned building where Greeks relegated Turks.  They treated illegal immigrants even worse than Trump wants to do, if you can believe that.  Greece is an exceptionally bad place to be if you're Turkish and these days if you're from just about anywhere in the Middle East.

One thing Billy Hayes noted about the movie of his time in a Turkish prison was that the prison guards were all unidimensional in being sadistic horrors.  In fact, Hayes said only one of them really got off on being brutal and most of them were underpaid staff who were nice to them, probably in part because they were dependent on bribes for income.

It's important to note Oliver Stone wrote the script but he did not direct the movie.  Therefore, any overplaying of the Turkish guards to paint the stereotype of a Turkish jail as the worst hell on Earth was not at Stone's hand or, at least, only partially.  It's important because there's so much overplaying of stereotypes and to tremendously destructive effect (e.g. all Muslims are terrorists, etc).

Terrorists are likely pleased people think all Muslims are regarded as terrorists because it allows them to travel freely without being identified specifically as a terrorist.  People may think it but they probably won't do anything because they don't know for sure.


Here's a sample of what it was like in Greece as made a Web site for a friend featuring Katakolo, the small town a kilometer or two from where I was staying outside of town.  Maybe you would like to check out Katakolo News as it has all the places you could stop in the town.  Katakolo was like a desert in the Spring.  Whenever the cruises ships would port, all of the shops would open and it would become a festival of colors, just like the desert when the first rain of Spring comes.

When you get to Katakolo News, click on the MAPS tab and that will give you all the locations with pictures for many of them.  It was remarkable as the place was desolate in-between times except for a few Greeks hanging about in the cafes.  That was the coolest time to be in one and probably the only time you found Greeks hanging in them too much.  At one time, I lived outside Newport, Rhode Island, and no-one went into the city during high season because it was just crawling with tourists.  The Greeks were no different.


The saga for "Abandoning Paradise" started in Katakolo and it was interrupted by a crash in Nice, France, which yielded the ever-popular sensation of being flat on my back on the road again.  The French cops were useless but some French civilians came to help and I asked, mostly by pointing since I don't speak French, "Could someone please lift the scooter off my foot?"

Some days are like that (larfs).

This ended up in Edinburgh, Scotland, and the whole adventure went on for about a month.  The top cruising speed of the scooter wasn't more than fifty mph.  I never managed to get Haximoto over 99 kph or about 60 mph and driving it at top revs constantly would have destroyed her quickly.

The story is not about the cities along the way because, as much as possible, I stay out of them.  I was a sitting duck on that scooter and it was loaded so heavily and strangely that driving in the city was almost tantamount to suicide.

Maybe that sounds dull but it most seriously was not that.   Some wondered how can you do it if you're 'disabled' in any way but your granny could ride a scooter.  You don't have to do any more than balance it and most of the time you're just taking in the world as you ride along.  Consider for a moment a scoot along the west coast of Italy from Genoa to the French border.  That was one of the most gorgeous scoots of my life.  Regrettably there a few pictures because of a mini-crash just outside of Genoa.  (The kick stand was weak and it started to give way after I had parked and there was no way I could hold her up.  The result was the camera got whacked and I thought it was destroyed but I hung onto it just in case.  I later discovered it was not.)


There are many things on the blog as it goes along and the political aspect is only a situational thing.  Greeks knew all about democracy and, well they might, they invented it (Athens in about the sixth century B.C.)

Note:  I think B.C. is now Before Modern Era or some such as if that tells anyone anything.  Got to love that political correctness.


Liberals are often accused of political correctness as I doubt I could get less politically correct if I took lessons.  I have no idea from whom I would get such lessons, however.  'They' do it ... somewhere ... somehow.  You tell me because I sure dunno.

(Ed:  liberals are also accused of making influenza!)

Of course.  The GOP doesn't ever do anything else.  They might learn something from the Greeks ... but they won't.


The Greeks didn't talk about freedom, they just lived it.  I saw hunters with guns but I never heard anyone talking about them except Harry explaining one day the gun shots I heard were when he was checking out his weapon(s) prior to going hunting.  That didn't make much sense to me as that would mean he has to clean it again but it was no big deal.  They say you can't get guns there but it's ludicrous.  I've seen them and they were legal.


Might as well plug the book.  "Abandoning Paradise" was written along the way in contents of this blog and was polished for publication when I got back.  "Abandoning Paradise" is available on iTunes for $2.99.

No comments: