Thursday, October 17, 2013

Trippin' for the Hell of It


It's been decades since Doc would take anything stronger than an aspirin but there was a time before that.  Lotho was the Acid King but Doc liked to eat it too.  I would try it every so often and sometimes I'd wind up sitting under the sink in the bathroom wondering about something idiotic like whether tadpoles have tonsils but this article isn't about that.

Many times we would wind up at my parents' house, trippin' our brains out, as it was a big house and it took a lot to wake them up.  They had a big color TV but the broadcast channels went off the air after about two in the morning.  That there was nothing on TV didn't stop us as this was before there was automatic tuning on televisions and they had all kinds of knobs for screwing with the picture.  Just like a Marshall amp, the TV would work the best when you turned all the knobs to ten.

Why the TV didn't explode from what we did to it I can't say but the images you could create on it were incredible.  It's a shame you can't do that anymore as that might have been the best thing you could do with a TV.


There was another time when Doc and I along with someone I don't remember were trippin' in the middle of the night.  We were wandering about in a park when we noticed the trees had big melon things in them.  It was around two in the morning but this seemed the perfect time to climb the trees to start throwing them at each other.

I'm not sure how long it took before there were flashlights on the ground or how long it was before the cops realised we were in the trees.  There wasn't anything for it but to climb down to talk to them and one of life's glorious experiences is to talk to a cop when you're trippin'.  For some reason they didn't arrest us but it did occur to us later that this might not be the best activity when you're trippin'.


There was one solo episode in which I had dropped the acid fairly late at night but I had forgotten I had to be in court the next day.  As always it was for a speeding ticket as I have had tons of them in my life with my personal best still standing at five speeding tickets in eight months.  There was one problem with the court appearance as I the acid hadn't worn off by the time I was to appear and I was still trippin'.

When LSD wears off, it doesn't just fade away but rather there are times when you're hallucinating and times when you're not.  As it happens, it was coming on pretty good when I went into the courtroom and there was a big frog where the judge should have been.  This really wasn't scary, I just thought, whoa, that's unusual.  I hope frogs are cool with speeding.

As it happened, frogs are just the same with speeding and it came out same as always:  fine plus court costs and back to the world again.  Thanks, Kermit.


Maybe you wonder about LSD and unravelling the mysteries of the Universe and, sure, that stuff happened too but that part wasn't funny.  I'll just be sticking to the funny parts.

No comments: