Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Quit Report

Full speed ahead, Cap'n.  I'm not smoking and I haven't been.  Yah, I'm still chewing the gum and it's a crutch but I don't care.  When it gets too annoying then I chuck it and I'm done.  This time it's my choice rather than being forced to it and that makes a huge difference.

Passport update:  still not here but I did line up some luggage to pack the floor boxes and I should have that on Thursday.  That was a huge problem and it now looks like it's solved.

The U.S. debt crisis comes to a final head in two days.  I'm optimistic as politicians do stupid things but it would be financial suicide to default and I don't believe they will permit it.  I do think they will drag it out until the last minute so they can look like heroes for resolving it but there's nothing heroic in doing what you were supposed to be doing anyway.

I agree with you all absolutely on the need for spending reductions but the unilateral approach to it has been ridiculous.  Simply dumping the Affordable Care Act is meaningless when there are so many excesses across the board.  Shutting down NASA was total rubbish as it's a tiny part of the budget.  The real American exceptionalism was when Kennedy said America should put a man on the moon and America damn sure did.  Let's see some of those kinds of goals again and make exceptionalism mean something instead of blowing stuff up.  (Spare me any partisan shots on Kennedy as he did some stupid stuff too.  The Bay of Pigs comes to mind.)

No comments: