Thursday, October 17, 2013

"Breaking the Set" with Abby Martin


Abby Martin is an activist and is identified as such prior to her show on RT News.  I've been admiring on here of what she does and I have a question for readers:  is RT News broadcast in America?  (I never saw it over there but I had stopped watching television a long time ago and only sought news from Internet feeds)

The only one I saw who came anywhere close to breaking the set in the U.S. was Rachel Maddox on CNN but she's just a titmouse whereas Abby Martin is a screaming eagle and I choose that metaphor deliberately as I strongly regard her as a patriot.  I see no patriotism at all in sitting idly by and letting political or corporate corruption go as it will.  Abby Martin most emphatically does not.

I've been disparaging of Abby Martin's musical taste in rappers but today she featured Eleanor Goldfield of Rooftop Revolutionaries who deliberately features the American flag in her shows and she is my favorite kind of patriot.  She is very supportive of what America was and she is deeply-critical of the corruption that has been destroying that in which flag-waving became associated with mindless jingoistic crap.  After reading here, I hope you'll go out to buy her music to support this lady.

By the way, Eleanor Goldfield is not a rapper but rather is a hard-rocking lady in a band from the Grace Slick school.  I have no use at all for treacle-coated covers of pop and Broadway show tunes from people who call themselves singers while pushing their art in no way whatsoever and never going anywhere close to taking a risk.

Music IS politics and any music that does not address politics is more often than not mindless rubbish that serves no better purpose than easing the passage while you empty your bowels.  This not nostalgia for the sixties but rather it's contempt for the pitiful material so many so-called artists are producing today.  Rappers often have worthwhile messages but their delivery is usually worthless as they make it as non-musical as possible.  So what if there's a beat if there's nothing else to it.

Eleanor Goldfield sings lead in a rock band and her message has huge punch.  Check her out.

If RT News is not available in the U.S., I suggest you demand it of your cable companies.  As with any other news channel, it's your responsibility to determine what is propaganda and I've said previously that RT News is a bit selective about what it covers but, that fact notwithstanding, their coverage overall is highly-penetrating and informative.

No comments: