Monday, October 7, 2013

Scotland - The Non-Tourist View


I went down to the co-op to get a couple of rolls as I had bought some for 20p the other day and thought I would get a couple more.  Unfortunately, I got a bit of a surprise at the checkout as the girl said they were 46p for four but were 92p for two.  That doesn't make any sense but life isn't supposed to make sense and that's why we keep a good supply of politicians around to ensure no-one ever has any idea what's happening.

I was surprised but cheerful and told her I hadn't touched the rolls and would return them to the rack.  After doing that, she stopped me on the way out and she said she was also buying a couple of rolls, how about if I go back for the two I wanted and pay her 50p.  I only had 41p but she smiled and said that was fine.

You can ride a double-decker along Princess Street and do all the tourist stuff but that doesn't have any more to do with Scotland than buying the tourist stuff on the street in Katakolon will show you anything about Greece.  The girl in the co-op is what Scotland is really like just as is the way my cousin has put me up in this flat and I'm deeply appreciative to both.


This is not a back-handed cadge for money.  Sure, I'm broke but I ran out of cigarettes last Wednesday and I can't guarantee I wouldn't get more if I had any cash so right now it's best if I don't.

I'll get back to showing you the story of traveling when the time is right to do that and feel free to contribute to that when you're getting some value for your dollar but I'm under no misapprehension about the value of punditry or there wouldn't be so many people doing it.  The political shift in the blog is only temporary and the story will resume in due time.

No comments: