Monday, October 24, 2016

Opioids: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)

John Oliver nails it with all the fervor and honesty we expect.  Lotho, I'm almost positive you will not be disappointed with it.




This one punches hard and anyone personally familiar with heroin abuse will likely appreciate the honesty.

Primary fact is 75% of heroin users started after abuse of prescription pain medications.  We knew it was a primary gate but it's even worse than that when that path channels almost all of them.

Oliver addresses specifically the Big Pharma responsibility in this.  However, he does not address the recent announcement of a substantial increase in heroin production in Afghanistan.  Insofar as I see no willingness from either candidate to show any courage toward fixing either of those problems, it's all the more reason I consider the election a travesty and a dangerous farce.

Irresponsible doctoring doesn't get a pass either and he takes that one directly to the source as well in a statement from a doctor on how she got insurance companies to cover Fetanyl even when the patient is not suffering from cancer.  Insurance companies will not otherwise cover it so the doctor dodges and coverage comes anyway.

Terrorists hardly kill anyone in America but two hundred and fifty million prescriptions are written for pain medications every year.  From this I conclude Americans have little concept of what terrorism really means.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is 20 minutes of my life that I will never get back.
While Big Pharma needs to own b thier piece. That75% number is vastly skewed. Trying to give the impression that the gateway was oxy etc. That just isnt the case for the vast majority of addicts I know and deal with.
Yes there is a portion that have only used two drugs oxy etc then heroin. And the pain clinics have c to own that portion.
Until Dr shopping and pain clinic go away it wont stop. I can find 5 pain clinic with 10 miles of me and they deal for the most part as a cash business with only a small portion of thier business as Insurance based customers as they track the number of pills per day.
The young man who said he btoke his hand to get oxy I dont believe. He doesnt need to do that.
He spent no time on a solution just trying to make jokes (which is his job)
So no I thought it was a waste of time. Similar to most SNL skits on b the subject

Unknown said...

I'm really surprised. I doubt the number is skewed since his crew is meticulous about research. I also know your situation is fact so I assume some local difference for whatever reason.

I'm sorry insofar as I would like to have a record like Cat for five-star recommendations but this one didn't even get one star. I did think he hit it square with doctor shopping and Big Pharma owning huge pieces of this. I know you agree the problem is huge and I'm also sure you agree it needs a lot more and better attention than it gets.

Anonymous said...

The number 75% is probably accurate for addicts who used oxy etc before heroin but not as their gateway.
It needs to be treated like alcohol. Where being an alcoholic is not illegal but what you may do as an alcoholic is.
I should not be arrested because I have Narcan. They shouldnt be arrested because they have a needle.
Jail isnt not a rehab center. They should not be sent to jail if they relapse in a rehab center.
Rehab centers should be run by the government. If I turn my rental houses into halfway houses I can put 3 people per bedroom and charge 150 per week
Do the quick math I can receive over $100k in rent for that house. Oh yeah I do not have to provide treatment.
If someone is scared that they might relapse and want to return to a rehab , they cant. You have test positive to be able to return
I have covered all this before.
To the original premise, it doesnt matter how they got there. We cant handle them.

Unknown said...

As before, I have no disagreement with the approach and only want to see it happen.

Maybe you remember decades ago when I was saying all of it ought to be legal or at least not deserving of jail to get the focus where it needs to be and just as you say here with a whole lot less head-cracking and a whole lot more head-fixing plus the education, etc, etc.

Anonymous said...

It has to be illegal. But get the addicts into a treatment system instead of jail. It will be far cheaper in b the long run and stop ruining so many peoples lives
And not just the addicts

Unknown said...

Agreed with no reservations whatsoever. I've no need to quibble about the law since people don't obey it anyway.