Tuesday, September 27, 2016

When You Look for Science But Only Find WIRED

There's not much science floating about lately and perhaps it stays out of the way due to the risk of contamination with political effluvium from the obvious source.  We could go with WIRED but they offer the 'Best Tweets from the Debate' so (cough) we will pass on whatever it is they think they're doing.

Note:  I went to the back a few minutes ago and Yevette was listening to a recording from the debate of Clinton saying something unctuous so I sez, "How about a suicide pact? I'm game."


Yesterday one I didn't run was on the fossil record of the earliest eukaryotes, organisms with complex cell structure.  Such creatures extend all the way from Euglena, a creature most of us came to know from  high school biology, up to us.  Therefore, the first eukaryotes are of high interest to scientists to understand how such cell organization came to exist.

Note:  Euglena is the creature which is hard to classify since generally it's classified as an animal but it can perform photosynthesis so it also has characteristics of a plant.  There's no way a high school biology would pass up anything that strange so Euglena is usually part of the program.  However, until you discover the sex life of liverworts, you haven't really discovered strangeness in biology.

Get this, the fossils they are studying for eukaryotes are on the scale of fifty nanometers which is teeny tiny beyond your most extreme imagination of teeny tiny.  The extents scientists will go to discover whatever they're trying to find is endlessly inspiring, even if it's only to the reverse thinking of 'no way I'm going to spend my life digging up things in the hot desert sun.'


Hopefully you're clear we're not trying to bust religious thinking except for Creationism because the math just doesn't work with that lot.  However, that doesn't say anything about predestination or any other matters which go to a deeper theological purpose.  There's no point to speculating how God may have managed it since, regrettably, I'm not a Deity and lack the credentials.  Y'all can write that part but there's not likely anything here which will try to obviate it.

Writing as if I can't offend the Omaha Church Group and Quilting Club isn't fair and I won't corrupt my writing simply for fear of that.  It may be a concern to one or more regulars that I would say more vile things, from their perspectives, about religion if not for concern it might offend them.  That's not true, tho, and if I wanted to say God is Dead then I could save myself one hell of a lot of typing.  I have no reason to say that and my position has been presented previously.


Some of the sibs may remember losing my lunch altogether at the dining table when I might (i.e. definitely) have timed poorly dropping some acid.  I was trying to hold it together in front of a flag red enamel dining table surrounded by six brothers and sisters, two parents, and a squirrel monkey when I realized I couldn't figure anything out.

No shit I couldn't (larfs).  Even Buddha couldn't have maintained around that lot.

After quite a while, I blurted out to my ol' Dad, "Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes."


That was the entirety of all religious conversation with my father and that's all it needed to be.  That's not much different from the answer from me now that something must have started all this.

(Ed:  that's such a scientific investigation!)

In fact I reviewed all the religions and that's what I found.  Something must have caused the Big Bang to happen.

(Ed:  what else?)

That's it.  Beyond that you're on your own, cowboy.

No comments: