Thursday, April 24, 2014

Sonya Has Big News at Cat's Art MusikCircus

Due to other commitments of a highly-boring nature, I got back late for the show.  Normally Cat and I are there an hour ahead of show to ensure all is ready so I was an hour and half late before I even could sit in the chair.

As soon as the audio came up, I heard "Big Girls."


(Left to right:  Medora Chevalier poppin' that gum, Riana Magic, Sonya Jevette)

Sonya Jevette has been making music for quite some time and she plays everywhere she can, virtual, real, wherever she has to go to make her music happen.  And she works.  She writes song after song in a challenge to herself.  Maybe you think what's the sense to kill yourself for a gig in SL but that's looking at it the wrong way 'round.  Sonya has been paying her dues and she has paid them hard.

If you haven't been to one of Sonya's shows then I hope you have heard or will soon hear her sing.  She has a brilliant insight into exactly how much vibrato she needs and that's a very delicate thing.  Too much then it sounds like a cheap device, too little then why bother.  Sonya knows exactly the balance she needs and her singing is gorgeous.  You know it's her as soon as she starts singing as it's so cool that she doesn't try to be someone else.  Say my name, say my name ... SONYA!

After all her work, Sonya's dues have now come to a new level as Sonya announced tonight that her music will soon be on Pandora and there will be a Sonya Jevette channel.  With any luck at all, this will bring her original music to a whole new audience and possibly build the audiences to whom she plays.

People often ask how to make a living with music but there's still only one way:  bust your ass.  Sonya has been doing that for a long time and now the sun shines.  I couldn't be more proud and happy for her and, from Cat and I, may this bring wonderful new opportunities to your life.  You deserve them all.





Something I ate earlier didn't like electric music too much so it decided to vacate in a glorious tidal wave of disgustingness, oh, fifteen minutes before my set.  Of course I had to go back for a second round but I was still thinking absolutely do not cancel.  There are no bones sticking through your flesh.  You have no good reason to cancel.  My only hope was that I wouldn't puke again during the set and also that I wouldn't reveal it!  (I didn't say anything to Cat before the show as that's just what she needs to enjoy the show.  Oh boy, I wonder if he will keel over before the set ends!)

It was wobbly going and that's fine as Sonya's "Big Girls" song tells all about wobbly, wobbly.  It's not quite the same wobbly, wobbly but that's alright.  I don't know how much people realize the commitment that exists to 'the show must go on' and it's just as important in SL as for an RL stage.  If you make a deal to play then you play, mister.

Jolly Leborski was there and she runs a large venue in SL so it's cool to see her coming around to see what Cat has happening.  I apologize that I'm not particularly engaging in chat during the show as my screen is tiny (15") and is difficult to see while I play.  Cat and I talked after the show about what can be done to mitigate this.  I tried something once before and it helped but didn't really finish the problem.  I have an idea for how to improve things a great deal and that will happen this week-end.  (There's no need for detail, it's just more complex than it seems.)

Chip Takacs was there also and I played with him once before over at Pranksters.  We weren't doing the same set but there's a scene over there where you play a few tunes, take a few swigs off the bottle, and then pass it all to the next jammer, especially the bottle.  He's got cool stuff happening and it was great to see him at the show tonight.

At one point the guitar speed was coming too fast.  I was thinking that you seriously need to slow this down as this is sounding like shredder stuff.  Playing fast just for the sake of fast is always fun but I'm very mixed on whatever musical value it may have.  What I find is the most sensitive is taking it down to 80 bpm and playing it slow.  But what's the most exciting is kicking it up to 150 bpm.  It's always a balance.

There is some mechanical news as the problem with back tracks is solved so I went with a couple of those.  I doubt I will make any more back tracks as recording track by track, instrument by instrument, etc is such a flaming drag and, to me, is as non-musical as bouncing a basketball.  I'm getting more and more fixed on live or nothing.  Live albums are always what I have loved the most so why record something I may not have even pursued in previous times.  I'm not planning on a CD but if I do put one together then it will be a collection of tunes recorded at the Circus.

Yep, I'll cop a plea on this show as if you get off pace then it's like trying to climb a glacier while the ice melts.  I need to take the hour before the set and ideally longer than that to get as tight as I can with the Necromancer place but that was altogether borked.  When you know you're in trouble, it's everything to stay cool as you never ever let them see you sweat.  This is why they pay the big bucks, man (laughs).

The show did go ok as I told Cat after what had happened and she said she couldn't tell.  The show wasn't dialed to where I want to upload anything to the podcast but we'll see what comes next week.

(I don't have some horrible disease.  My stomach didn't like what was in it and decided to, erm, expel it.  I have to marvel at the timing!)

No comments: