Friday, February 14, 2014

God Likes Fried Chicken and Electric Guitars

When payday comes, what you do is go off to Church's Fried Chicken and get a bucket as you can be eating from it for days.  So there was chicken joy on Wednesday which was followed by a two-hour show last night.  I never play two hours these days so I conclude God let me do that because he likes fried chicken.

There are no back tracks in what I am using, in part because I've used them too many times already.  Part of my responsibility to any audience is not to throw away my older stuff but it doesn't at all go where I want.  I don't hate the stuff, it's just too restrictive.  The biggest reason, tho, is that I hate computers.  I have always hated computers.  I worked on them for thirty years, hating them every moment along the way, but that was ok as they hated me too so it was a fair game.

(Ed:  you don't know what you played last night, do you?)

Nope.

I know I opened with "Off the Wall" as it's so much in my head that it would be crazy to play anything else and have both competing with each other.  It's just some of the chords from "Cool Enough for Cat" and maybe there's a Cat symphony coming.  I just know if I'm going through any Gateway, I'm taking her with me.  Screw Valentine's Day cards, this is the Big Trip.

After the show had been going for a while, Cat said it had been exceptional and maybe she's blinded by love or not but her thoughts are huge as you've read me on her musical knowledge multiple times. Between her knowledge and my impressionism, there's a musical impressionism in the middle.  It's not that she will steer anything as you don't steer impressionism, you feel it.

I have listened to the archive recording, at least the first 13-14 minutes and was not satisfied.  The guitar sounded piercing and that's not at all satisfactory.  To get the sound I want, you've got to go right on the edge of something that will hurt your ears and I mean actual physical pain.  Just short of that is incredibly beautiful but push it too far and it's nothing but ear damage.  Even after all these years, finding the 'sweet spot' is just as delicate as it ever was.

But, what the hell, I think there's still some fried chicken left.

Hmm...you know what that might mean is playing again tonight.  We already reviewed that God likes fried chicken.  It would be madness to follow Voodoo as you've already read that he's a total fuckin' genius but, hey, it's Valentine's Day.  By that time it's quite late in Deutschland so we'll see.  Whatever happens there will be a report tomorrow.

No comments: